Solved

Forms for SharePoint Online

• 15 April 2024
  • 9 replies

Badge +2

I would like to design a form in Nintex Automation Cloud and then enter data into that form that would populate my SharePoint list. 

I have my connection and Data source set up, and the design of my SharePoint list is created. I know how to create a start event to create a design form and know how to create a new list item in a workflow, but I don’t know how to connect the fields on the form to the SharePoint list.

Can you share with me a link, tutorial or solution for this? Hopefully a tutorial, so I better understand it. It looks like I need to create a task form, but I don’t understand how to do that.

icon

Best answer by SimonMuntz 17 April 2024, 01:42

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @csergent7,

When you create an item with the SharePoint Online - Create an item action, you input the site and the list details.  When you click the add fields button, the columns from the list will be available for selection.
Select the columns you want to populate, and then add the appropriate form variable to your selected fields.

Badge +2

@SimonMuntz - I am having trouble connecting the data to the fields, unless what I did is correct. Here are the steps I followed:

1. I created a Workflow and selected the start event, SharePoint Online and the event; New or update list item
  2. Populated the connection and the site URL and then retrieved lists
  3. Selected list; I clicked on the button that displays show variable in the start event, and my list was in the Start variable
  4. Selected Assign a task to multiple users
  5. Selected task form and entered in design mode
  6. Selected form variables, selected a variable, and named the form variable
  7. I then place the variable in default value as I didn’t see an controls for data sources

The goal in this case is to enter the number of days a location is open, which will be entered into a SharePoint Online list.

Here is what my one field form has:

Nintex Automation Cloud, for Entering Data to SharePoint Online

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @csergent7,

If you want to display start event variables on your task form, Drag controls from the start event variables section of the controls toolbox.

Badge +2

Thank you. One last thing, the data is read only; how do I change it to editable?

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @csergent7 

Badge +2

@SimonMuntz that’s what I am having trouble with. How do I make the field editable?

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @csergent7,

As the message advises, you cant make the field editable.
Nintex forms are for entering New information and not for editing existing information.

To achieve this solution, you would need two fields. One that shows the current value and another to collect the new value. When the new value is collected you use it to update the item.

Badge +2

@SimonMuntz I think I am getting a better grasp on understanding. Just two questions to ensure I understand correctly.

1. To update a list; if I have a field named; first_Name, with short text as the data type, I would need to add a short text control and name it first_Name and then upon clicking submit, the first name would be updated. Is that correct?
  2. What if the form is for new data only? How would I create the form to enter the information?
Userlevel 6
Badge +22

@SimonMuntz I think I am getting a better grasp on understanding. Just two questions to ensure I understand correctly.

1. To update a list; if I have a field named; first_Name, with short text as the data type, I would need to add a short text control and name it first_Name and then upon clicking submit, the first name would be updated. Is that correct?

No this is not correct.  When you hit submit you then use a SharePoint Online update item action to update the column with the new information.

1. What if the form is for new data only? How would I create the form to enter the information?

It's the same principle.  You just update the column with the new data.