Solved

External user responding a Workfow Task and getting "Access denied. You do not have permission to perform this action or access this resource."

• 12 June 2016
  • 7 replies

Badge +7

Hi all,

As per the subject, I have an Approval Task sent to an external user and he gets the email without problem.

Then clicks the link to the Workfow Task: it opens fine, switch to Edit move and clicks the Radio Button to "Approve", then clicks OK: the following message is displayed in Red

"Access denied. You do not have permission to perform this action or access this resource."

Error_at_workflwo_task_save.png

I checked the permission in Workflow Tasks list and even tried to elevate it to Full Control and still error.

Then also checked the special list   /Lists/Workflow%20History and still had enough permission too.

thank you for throwing some suggestion that I didn't think of. (must be something related to that external user...)

François.

icon

Best answer by olampl11 13 June 2016, 13:17

View original

7 replies

Badge +8

Have you checked that the user have also contribute Rights on the Related Item.

regards

oliver

Badge +7

yes, Approver has EDIT on Related Item.

Badge +8

Hello, As far as I know, he needs CONTRIBUTE rights, on the Related Item. You can just check it with an test user or something.

Badge +8

Hello Francois, have you solved your issue?

Badge +7

Hey guys, sorry it took me a bit longer, since I wanted to nail this down.

So here is the results of my tests with an external user as an approver: - that user needs to be Contributor indeed, but

- that user needs to be Contributor indeed,

- but what surprised me is to create a new item in a list, the user needs Contributor to the list (normal) BUT also needs to have Read to the site, not View Only or Restricted Read.

Badge +8

Thank you for sharing the full solution

Badge +3

Hi, If you provide Contribute access for the external user, to the Task list, then they are able to see all the tasks. how do I restrict an external user to be able to see only their own Tasks?