Skip to main content

Use of Tables

This might be one of the most challenging obstacles for those of you coming from an InfoPath background. In InfoPath, tables were used heavily for form layout and design. Also, the product included a visual table designer and existing tables could be modified via the user interface. In Nintex Form Designer, tables can be used but are a bit of a challenge for a few reasons.

First, there is no visual table designer in Nintex forms designer. Therefore tables can be either created visually in a 3rd party app such as SharePoint designer 2010 or Dreamweaver, or they can be hand coded in Nintex Designer using the Rich Text form control.

htmltable.JPG

Second, unlike InfoPath, objects form cannot be placed directly in table cells. So, you must manually arrange each object on the canvas if you want to create a “table-like” structure for your form.

Update (03/11/16)

I attended a form design session at InspireX. In that session I learned that Nintex forms does not use tables because tables are bad.... Bad tables!!!  Using Tables for layout came about before the advent of beautiful CSS code. With CSS items can easily be arranged anywhere on the canvas AND alternate layouts for mobile devices can quickly and easily be created. This would not be the case if tables were used.  I am a InfoPath person - I spent many years creating form and workflow solutions with InfoPath/Designer. It took me a while to get over tables. But now I understand why I had to. So InfoPath people - and you know who you are - walk away from the Tables and embrace CSS!!

Thanks for the tip.  However, why are tables bad? Mind you, I'm fluent in CSS/HTML/Js etc....But, I'm also an InfoPath developer and in terms of forms design Nintex still frustrates my eyebrows right off my face. It makes so many things unbearably and unnecessarily difficult that are just intuitive in InfoPath.  Creating a table is just another one of these instances.