Solved

Auto Increment Numbers

• 4 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hope this is not a dumb question from a newbie. I have a nintex form (modern designer). I would like to create a field called ID (simple enough) and have that number start with “1” and once the form is submitted simply auto increment the next number to 2, 3, 4 and so on. Not sure how to do this. Was hoping there was a simple setup like say in ms access where you create the field and simply select auto increment from a drop down.

icon

Best answer by Garrett 4 January 2023, 20:51

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @partykdj 

Each item in SharePoint has a built-in “ID” field value. 

This value is created upon creation of a new item (ie. form is submitted)

A new form (not yet submitted) will not have any “ID” value as technically the item has not been created in SharePoint. Once a form has been submitted and the workflow has started, you should be able to retrieve the ID value in the workflow.

My organization practice is to set the Title with ID after a form is submitted. Use a variable to set the Title and include the ID value in the title.

If you have a SharePoint list and don’t see the ID, you need to “show” the ID field. (In SharePoint Modern view)

Click Add column

Select  show/Hide columns

Select the ID column, and click apply.

Let me know if you need further clarification

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @partykdj 

Create a new variable

Configure. 

Update Title using the Update List Item action

Badge +1

Sorry,

I should have clarified that I am not using anything with regards to SharePoint. My form fields are created straight from the designer and I am ultimately storing selected attachments to one drive.