Skip to main content
Solved

Trying to add multiple people to People Picker field

• 2 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi guys, 

I am using a ‘Get members of an Azure Active Directory group’. I want to then upload these people into a SharePoint column.

It’s a multi person people picker field, but I am getting the error “The user does not exist or is not unique” when updating the list.

I’ve deleted the column and remade it, is it just not something that’s supported?

Thanks!

Well it all depends on a few factors. Without seeing the error message and how the output is you are passing to the sharepoint person field, I can’t be of much assistance. 

If I had to guess, it’s your output you are passing to sharepoint that is causing the error. I can’t recall how azure outputs look for emails, but if it just says user does not exist and all your names are in there within the red error, it’s cause it’s recognizing all the names as one person. If it’s one email, I would double check for spaces or anything that could be messing it up.

You will have to loop through and clean everything up with a semicolon or comma between each email. I thought azure output did that for you, but I could be wrong. I know get members from sharepoint group does the work for you and you can pass right into update items action for a person field. 

Another thing to consider is guest accounts.

Not sure if you are passing guest emails to the list? If so, it could also be a result of the site not being set up by an admin to share with new or existing guests. Guest accounts in azure won’t show up in person field drop down in SharePoint without that being enabled on the site level.

Again, just throwing things out there in case it helps, given the information provided. :)

Well it all depends on a few factors. Without seeing the error message and how the output is you are passing to the sharepoint person field, I can’t be of much assistance. 

If I had to guess, it’s your output you are passing to sharepoint that is causing the error. I can’t recall how azure outputs look for emails, but if it just says user does not exist and all your names are in there within the red error, it’s cause it’s recognizing all the names as one person. If it’s one email, I would double check for spaces or anything that could be messing it up.

You will have to loop through and clean everything up with a semicolon or comma between each email. I thought azure output did that for you, but I could be wrong. I know get members from sharepoint group does the work for you and you can pass right into update items action for a person field. 

I have now tried the ‘Get Members of a SharePoint group’ step and when saving to the list I’m getting the same error. It seems to be how collections are being handle in the multi person field.

One of the people’s display name does have a special character, but that isn’t in the email address so I wouldn’t think it would cause issues?

Hi JimOw

I would verify from the SharePoint interface that I can add the users you are trying to add as a Starter. 

Then look at what the data looks like using Log instance Details

In my own example I found the data in SharePoint can be represented as semi colon seperated IDs or Emails, as shown below.

6;11;12;13
User6@Nintex.com;User11@Nintex.com;User12@Nintex.com;User13@Nintex.com

I have implemented the same as brandiwoodson explained using both User ID and Email

Please see below

Complete Workflow

The workflow get the list of users, then loops over them and builds up two string values one of semicolon separated emails and one semicolon separated ids and then uses them to update the required property in the SharePoint list.

Loop for each member
Concatenate Emails with;
Concatenate IDs with ;
Update Items

Let me know if this was helpful

Thanks guys, I tried that out and it’s worked - thank you!