Skip to main content
Solved

Request Ticketing system - creating a view only specific people can see

• 18 June 2024
  • 5 replies

I am building a request ticketing system via SharePoint and Nintex, and want a list that only supervisors can see, and I want them to only see requests sent to them specifically. I am using a Nintex form that populates a requests list I created in SharePoint.

My original idea was just to use the same list, on 2 different pages. The problem is that even if I create a specific view, if I default it to a view, it defaults it to both. I want one view to be a regular requests list that everyone can see the requests they’ve submitted, and another be a supervisor only list.

The next idea was to create 2 different lists, but have the same data in them. I have been playing around with this, but since I have my start event as a new list item creation, I cannot find an easy way to populate a different list with one list already.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

So there are limitations in sharepoint online lists and permissions. There is no such thing as permission levels for each view. The only thing you could do is have supervisors listed in a person or group field for each record and create a view where it filters this field with the [Me] tag so if they are listed in the field, they see the record. 

I would recommend: 

Option 1: Creating a Nintex start event form in NAC and passing your form data from the form to the SharePoint list. Similar to what you have to do with a Microsoft Form to get the data into a list using a power automate flow (just a lot less headache since it’s Nintex!) 

From there only allow your supervisors (create a custom sharepoint group with those folks) access to the SPO list.

Or…

Option 2: if you need the initiator to see their requests in the SPO list, then add an update item permissions action after the item is created in the workflow and provision it so only the supervisor group and the initiator have access to that new item.

If the initiator visits the list, they will only ever see their own items, regardless of any view and how it’s configured. 

Or…

Option 3: If  you only want the initiator and select supervisors to see just requests sent to them, do the same thing as option 2. Pass the appropriate supervisors (based on the start event form I’m assuming if this is entered by the initiator) and the initiator to the list item instead of just the initiator when you provision the permissions. Nix the supervisor SPO group all together as described in otpion 1 if you don’t want all supervisors to have access to all list items. 

Badge +3

Hi, Thank you for the reply. The one problem is, and I didn't clarify this, but supervisors can also send requests, that goes higher up. So I just want a default list for where everyone can see their requests, but also another list that is filled with requests sent to that particular person logged into the account.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Then go with the last option I mentioned. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hi @mwubarnes Did the reply by Brandiwoodson solve your question?

Badge +3

I figured it out a different way. You can set different views for different pages by editing the list, instead of setting one as default.