Skip to main content
Question

Pass SharePoint Online Parameters to a SharePoint Update List Item Workflow

• 30 June 2024
  • 4 replies

How do I pass my SPO parameters, such as the ID of a Document Library List to my SharePoint Update List Workflow? 

I click on the Nintex but (orange and white) and then no workflows show up to select. I would like to select a record in my SharePoint Online Document Library and then pass the ID of the record that I want to edit to the workflow.

How would I do this?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi @csergent7 

Nintex Cloud workflows are now centralised in a single area, away from any specific list or library. 

that means each workflow is configured specifically to each list from the workflow side, when you open a new workflow, select the start action on the canvas and select on the right how you want to start the workflow, selecting form will let you build a independent start form that isn’t attached to the list or library, great for manual submission, if you want to react to changes on the sharepoint its self then select sharepoint online as a start event, then select the option to call the workflow when the item is created, modified or both.

it will then prompt you to select the list you want it to watch. 

if you want to then test the workflow on a specific item the workflow testing tool on the ribbon will let you provide an ID to test against. 

let me know if you need any specific assistance, perhaps if you discuss the kind of workflow you want to build we might be able to help. 

Jake 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

We have staff that are required to check the SharePoint list each day and then act upon records in the list. I needed a way for modifications to be done when a record is selected. Is that not possible?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi @csergent7 

It should still be possible, are you able to describe the behaviour you would like with a few screenshots talking me through the process? Id me more than happy to give you pointers and instructions.

Jake 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Jake,

Here is an example of the process: 

1. An individual enters information into a Nintex Automation Cloud Form
  2. Information creates a new item in the SharePoint List
  3. Staff are notified that there is new information in the list and to check the actual SharePoint List

At that point, we have a list like the following

1. A supervisor would like to click on the record with the record ID of 1, for example. This would normally be taken from a list of many records. It’s unknown what record would be selected, so if there were a record with a record ID of 5, and the supervisor wanted to review that record instead, I would like to retrieve all of that information to a Nintex Automation Cloud Form, for review and allow the supervisor to make corrections and enter information to their part of the form.

Below is part of the form that is completed. The blue section is where staff would enter initial data in, which updates SPO Document Library. The supervisor would then need to select an item from the populated list, not necessarily immediately or in order of data entered, and then review the blue section and enter information into the green section.