Skip to main content
Question

How To Store Task ID In Nintex Automation Environment?

• 15 August 2024
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I am working on migrating a workflow that assigns a task but also Stores that task ID into a variable easily.  In Nintex Automation Cloud that “store task ID” is not easily available so how would I go about being able to retrieve this approval task ID so that it can be used further in the workflow to filter items?

Thanks N Advance

Hi @fortyone,

The task ID can be surfaced by using the Nintex Automation Cloud API.
https://developer.nintex.com/docs/nc-api-docs/tasks

I am just curious about the business case for needing to know the task ID. 

Hi @fortyone,

The task ID can be surfaced by using the Nintex Automation Cloud API.
https://developer.nintex.com/docs/nc-api-docs/tasks

I am just curious about the business case for needing to know the task ID. 

Thanks for your response, I am still trying to make since of it but in the On Prem workflow there is a create item action that adds values to a list where the Task list ID is equal to the Approval Task ID

Hi @fortyone,

Without seeing the whole workflow, I can only speculate.
It appears that some information is being updated on the task.  If you are creating tasks with Nintex Automation Cloud, you cannot make any updates to the task.

So I am using the “Assign a task to multiple users” action which in the On Prem world was Assign to-do task that is connected to a SharePoint task list.  How would I be able to pull this same functionality out in Nintex Automation environment since technically the assignment is linked to a actual Nintex Form and not a SP task list like in On prem world.  And then information from that Nintex assignment/task form needs to be added to a separate SP list to log the task updates.  I see a Get a task action but not sure how to link that to tasks assigned or maybe I need to configure the Workflow to actually create new items in the task list? 

Hi @fortyone,

As you have realized the concept of tasks differs between SharePoint and Nintex Automation Cloud (NAC). In SharePoint, tasks live in a list. In NAC they live in My Nintex in Nintex Automation Cloud.

If you require NAC Task information in SharePoint, you could create a list and create items related to the task.

First, create an item with information about who the task is assigned to, etc.
Then, when the task is completed, update the item with the task result and any other related information.