Skip to main content
Solved

How can I obtain a users manager details from AD at the start of a form

• 25 July 2024
  • 6 replies

How can I obtain a users manager details from AD at the start of a form this is in order for a distinction to be made in terms of the next steps of a form being submitted.

E.g. based on the users manager that exists in AD the approval for a form will go to that manager for approval without the user having to enter there managers name at the beginning of the form it will already be populated. 

Thanks folks

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi @Mark Thompson 

There is a data source action you can use for Azure Active Directory that, once configured in the data sources tab will allow you to perform this action as part of the external data variables. 

I’d be happy to give more specific instruction if needed but might have to be tomorrow unless someone else beats me to it :)

Jake

Badge +1

Gosh Jake that was a super ninja quick response 😀 thanks so much for your reply.

Ive got that data connection already set up for the users manager. My challenge is extracting those details into the start form itself. Im guessing its somehow in the Form Variables' that I can create a variable for example with the users Manger email address. I feel I'm close to the solution LOL

Cheers

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

No trouble at all!

Seems you already did the hard part which is great. 

in the start form there is a tab at the top for data variables, inside there create an external data variable and select the data source you have, whilst creating you can use the current user email as a filter value. 

this will then create a variable you can use to get all of the managers details. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Just a thought to ensure we are speaking about the right product here, you are using Nintex Automation Cloud?

Jake 

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @Mark Thompson,

You have posted in the Nintex for SharePoint section of the community, which is Nintex’s product for SharePoint on-premise.  Is this the product you are using?

If so, you can use the userProfileLookup() runtime function in a calculated value control to lookup the manager of the current user.
https://help.nintex.com/en-US/nintex2013/help/#Forms/RootCategory/Designer/Nintex.Forms.RuntimeFunctions.htm?Highlight=userprofilelookup

If you are using Nintex for O365 with a classic or responsive form, you can use a calculated value control with the UserProfileLookup() runtime function
If you are using a new responsive form, you can create a form variable that uses the UserProfile Lookup Function and display that variable in a label control.
https://help.nintex.com/en-US/office365/Designer/Functions/userProfileLookup.htm

If you are using Nintex Automation Cloud, you can use Jake's method, which is to create a data source that retrieves the users manager from AAD.
https://help.nintex.com/en-US/nwc/Content/Designer/Connectors/AzureADConnector.htm

Badge +1

Bingo !!!

I’ve got it working  thank you so much 😊 guys and yes I’m using Nintex Automation Cloud. Awesome work guys

Cheers