Question

Docusign Data Merge

• 25 February 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

I was testing Docusign integration. I created a PDF with two text fields: Text1 and Text2. I have uploaded this as a template on Docusign, called “TEST”.

In the workflow, I have a step where I set two same-named workflow variables.

The next step in the Nintex workflow is a Docusign “Get Signature” node. I see the TEST template via the connection. When invoked, I get an empty template.

Does Nintex not send data to populate Docusign templates? Do I have to generate the PDF in Nintex and then send it for signature?

This integration is not intuitive.

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hello @PaulXTiseo ,

The ability that you are referring to exists in Nintex Assure sign using the term JotBlocks
https://help.nintex.com/en-us/assuresign/Content/SimpleSetupEnvelope/Jotblocks/Jotblocks.htm?tocpath=Send%20a%20document%7CJotblocks%7C_____0

However, when using docusign, you will need to generate the document first will all the required data and then pass that generated file to docusign to be signed.

Thanks,

Anthony

Badge +1

Thank you for your reply, Anthony.

Unfortunately, I am limited to DocuSign due to an existing contract.

I understand that I would have to use the built-in Generate Document action (with, for example, a Word template for fill-in) to create the document.

Then, I should use the Docusign Get Signature action to get the actual signoffs. I presume I would select “File variable” the action’s Document Location, pointing to the generated doc, to get it sent out to Docusign.

But how do I indicate where to sign on that generated doc? What if I have a variable number of signatures required? I understand that I can set Recipients in the Get Signature action, but it seems to be that all must sign (sequentially or parallel), and I don’t get how they map into the document?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@PaulXTiseo  It’s been a while since I’ve looked into this, but if you’re needing to use the generate document action and want signature fields already in place, you’ll need to create anchor “tags” in your generated document. When that document gets passed into Docusign, it should see these tags, and based on the information within the tags, replace them with the signature fields you need. 

This forum post had useful information when I was looking into it years ago (unfortunately the pictures no longer appear): 

This Docusign article may be the information needed on the tags (it also may be out of date): https://support.docusign.com/s/document-item?language=en_US&rsc_301=&bundleId=evk1581360654067&topicId=xaj1581360622399.html&_LANG=enus

Userlevel 5
Badge +20

Hi @PaulXTiseo 
Did these replies help answer your question? 

Badge +1

All,

The answers did provide some guidance, and some of the ideas presented were the ones I needed.

But, I ended up stumbling across this guide from Docusign that gave me almost a complete answer, including an easy OpenAPI import for the Xtension:
https://www.docusign.com/blog/developers/automate-even-more-docusign-nintex

So, I have a document template that I merge workflow data into, then use the AutoPlace Text capability to place signature fields into the template in Nintex. Then, send to Docusign.

Still having issues with conditional signatories, but working through that.