Question

Choice - Multiple control checkboxes with SQL data

• 22 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I want my Nintex task form to display multiple choice checkboxes using data generated from a previous step in the NAC workflow.

At first, I tried using Collections for this, but that did not work. It was not an available option in the “Choice - Multiple” form control.

I then switched to another method, whereby I stored the data in a SQL database table, added an “External Data” variable in the form, and did an “Insert” in the Choice - Multiple control using this external data variable.

It worked, but it is slow.  15 seconds or more sometimes.

Any suggestions on improving this?

See screenshots below. First shows the configuration. Second shows the slow-to-load, grayed out control. Third shows Multiple Choice control when populated.

2 replies

@PabloL If you don't have to pull the data in the checklist control from an external data source, you might be able to get away with using a workflow variable via set a variable value.

First, set the variable as the start form choice list, use it as default in the task form, and then set it as the task form choice list.  The idea here is to make it behave dynamically.

WF export key for reference: n1TrDBAcjnVeq6dvUAZD27z5PQzzhhBQ5t58Q7FYCtbWYWiYJ

HTH

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

But I get this data from a lookup, not from the start form.  The start form asks the user to enter a Tax ID for a company in our internal systems. We use a custom Xtension to call an internal Web API for the lookup and then it passes that ID and our customer record ID into the next workflow.  The next workflow uses that customer record ID to do another call to pull more information from the internal Web API.  Then it builds a table in the database.  

I would build a variable here, if the next task form would accept it, but I haven’t been able to make that work.  So I store it in the SQL database.  Then in the task form, I use External Data to retrieve it.

So I still don’t think your method applies here, unless you know of something I missed.