Skip to main content

Hi all,

Document generation is not for free, so putting some restrictions on this Nintex workflow action seems logical.

Without proper configuration, everyone who is allowed to create Nintex workflows can add the Nintex workflow action 'Document Generation' leading potentially to unwanted document generation consumption.

For on-premise, there is an option to allow who can use a specific Nintex workflow action. Below, the steps voor Nintex Workflow 2016 in Central Administration are given.

1. Go to 'Nintex Administration'.
  2. Click on 'Action Settings' (Group 'Workflow environment').
  3. Select the action 'Document Generation' and click in the ribbon on 'Edit permissions'.
  4. De-select 'Make this action available to all users' and add the people who are allowed to use this action.
  5. Click on the button tOK]

Besides configuring who is allowed to use the workflow action 'Document Generation', making it a part of your Governance plan is a wise thing to do. Nintex Workflow Cloud and Office 365 do not have the option to set permissions on Nintex workflow actions, so for that it is actually your only option.

The consumption of document generation is also determined by how a workflow is designed. Make sure a document is only generated when really needed.

As last option, you can restrict who can start a workflow containing the document generation action.

I really love the document generation functionality of Nintex, but as in really life: too much love can kill you silly.png

Cheers,

Rick

document generation‌, central administration‌

how is it with development licence?

if I'm developing a solution on test/dev server with development licence and calling document generation, does it account against document generation licence limit?

Good question. I only have access to a partner license so cannot check to be 100% sure. That said, I have never read or heared about that there is a development license for document generation.

me not too, therefore I asked

‌, are you able to clarify?

Yes, any document successfully generated through the action will count against the license allocation which is why we provide an initial allocation with no charge.

Cheers, Rick

Any update on this question? I want to know if a workflow in O365 is in published only development and we just wanna do some tests before we can publish it.. would that count from our allowance? 

HI ‌, Yes it will count towards your allowance, we don't distinguish between development or production workflows as there is no difference in the document generated.

Great to know. Thanks ‌ 

Hi

We have a 2000 limit on document generation. This means that we can't use this action. 

What is this action designed to be for? It can't be for creating a document each time a workflow runs. 

On the other hand, if we could pdf the form during workflow and attach it to an email, then I wouldn't need document generation.