Choice Single control - Data Source Variable usage

• 25 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

The choice Single control now has an Insert tab for the choice options in the control’s configuration. This allows for a Data Source Variable to be selected.

Inserting a flattened collection from a data source into this field gives you a dynamically generated list of choices.

An array of objects can also be selected. When an object is select, two new fields will appear in the control’s configuration. The fields are “Option label” and “Option value”.

Option label will display the text for the choices. Option value is the value that can be used elsewhere in the form or passed to the workflow.  For example, the option label may show a list of states of the United States of America. When the user selects California the Option value can store the value Sacramento which is the capital city.  This value is obtained from the Data Source Variable.

For more information please see the Nintex Automation Cloud help files.https://help.nintex.com/en-US/nwc/Content/Designer/FormControls/ChoiceSingle.htm

Video:

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Not sure what I’m doing wrong but it won’t load for me. I followed the instructions in the video after I attempted to do it on my own with basic logic. What I did vs what the video showed was the same. 

So I’m stuck now, can’t pass a list of information through from sharepoint list :(.  

I tried first method of just adding the field in the collection I wanted. 

Added single choice field. 

then I tried the whole object returned and did the option label and option value. 

Still not working…. what am I doing wrong? I verified that there are 22 list items and all have information in the active title field as shown above. So I’m stumped.

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @brandiwoodson,

I think you should test to make sure the data source is working.
If you place a label control on the form and select a column from the first record object does it appear in the preview?

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Hi @brandiwoodson,

I think you should test to make sure the data source is working.
If you place a label control on the form and select a column from the first record object does it appear in the preview?

I’m not sure what was wrong, I made a new list (these lists were migrated using sharegate to a new sharepoint online site). It’s working as expected now. Just waiting on those multiple choice fields now. I’m super excited! Thanks @SimonMuntz. Appreciate the assist.