Skip to main content

Again a newbie question, so forgive it on the general forum, but you veterans are a good place to start I hope!

We are a very SharePoint focused organisation but we have several other LOB SQL systems that we want to hook into and write back to hence buying K2. Our interaction with LOB systems can wait ... but there is a lot we can do with it in the short term without the required API's.

But I am up against a wall at the moment when someone asks for a fairly simple KT solution (ie: smartforms/workflow) in regard to whether I build this on a SharePoint list as the data source or I use the inbuilt K2 Database and create the smart object from there instead.

My instinct is to use a SharePoint (SP) List as the data source because we can visualise the data captured very easliy in house (infact any SP power user can untilize it and filter etc on the data views and create what views they need on the list, they can roll it up across sites and use it on dashboards using external tools).  If I use a K2 database as the source as the smart object then I am thinking we are reliant on a professional SQL expert to extract that into a sequal report? I might be wrong??

So in essence my question is, what does using a K2 inbuilt database as a smart object have 'over' using a a SharePoint list as a smart object?

Confuzled at K2.com, but wanting to learn :-)   Julie

I may be a bit biased here, but I always considered the K2 database (SmartBox, I assume you are referring to) to be a good thing to use for proof of concept type of apps but I would never use it for a live solution. If you don't have a lot of in-house SQL knowledge, then use a SharePoint list.