Question

Send an Email - Form Rule does not always send an email to external email addresses

• 5 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi,

Anyone got any suggestions on this, I have a K2 form which has 2x Send Email rules when a button is clicked. One email is sent internally and always arrives, but the other email is not always received by the end user (which could be any external email address such as hotmail/gmail/outlook etc etc).

I’ve carried out some tests and no email is received in any folder (yes including junk/spam) for hotmail/gmail. But the email was received in an Outlook.com account (but in the junk mail folder).

Any ideas why this is the case? The email is sent via SMTP (when via Send Email Rule via form), so not sure how to proceed, any ideas anyone?

Thanks

2 replies

Badge +8

Hello @Sharpharp1 , I think it could be a problem on the SMTP server side as K2 server does not actually send the email to the recipient, it just sends all requests regardless of internal/external/gmail account to the configured SMTP server.

One way you can test this is by using TELNET to open a connection to the SMTP server from the K2 server and then send a test e-mail to internal and gmail and see what happens.

We also often use a workflow to send the email rather than the form because it allows for nice HTML formatted emails.

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hello @Sharpharp1 , I think it could be a problem on the SMTP server side as K2 server does not actually send the email to the recipient, it just sends all requests regardless of internal/external/gmail account to the configured SMTP server.

One way you can test this is by using TELNET to open a connection to the SMTP server from the K2 server and then send a test e-mail to internal and gmail and see what happens.

We also often use a workflow to send the email rather than the form because it allows for nice HTML formatted emails.

Hi Deon,

If it was an issue with SMTP, then I would expect all emails to fail, but it randomly works. As you mentioned, there is an option to move the email function to a workflow, but then that add an unnecessary workflow to our license count, I try and keep things compact where possible.