Drawloop relationship types

• 25 October 2017
  • 8 replies

Are the various relationship types defined in detail anywhere?

Also - is it possible to create a relationship to an object 2 levels down? e.g., an object related via LookUp to an object that is related via LookUp?

Master Object = Course

Child Object = Application (has a LookUp to Course and LookUp to Contact)

From the Course I need data from the Contact on each Application

Guessing that I probably have to have cross-object formula fields to bring the Contact data onto the Application - yes?

8 replies

Badge +17

Beth,

Yes this is possible to do. Just be sure that your lookups are bound to the object correctly and then follow the path within your relationship building in Drawloop. 

Related By "Course" > Related Item you want is "Application"

Related By "Application" > Related item you want is "Contact"

Take a look at this video to see how to set that up... Shows one setup, but should be simple enough for you. If you have a screenshot of your DDP, send that over :-)

Lookup Relationships - YouTube 

Thanks, Eric. 

The challenge is that my data model is as follows:

Course

Application (with M-D LookUp to Course, course is master; M-D Lookup to Contact, contact is master)

Goal: create mailing labels for everyone with an Application on this Course.

If I start my DDP from the Course object I can't figure out how to access data on the Contact records

It is easy to access data on the Application (to work around this relationship thing we just added formula fields on Application for the Contact address details)

- Beth

Can you add a top level relationship to the Contact object. 

If you use a Top Level relationship, you have to add a button parameter to the button you use to generate documents.  

&ContactId={ContactId_Merge_Field}

> Are the various relationship types defined in detail anywhere?

Not yet, but this is in progress. 

Badge +17

Beth Saunders‌ I agree with Tim. Add a top level relationship to the contact object and that should get you going. 

One thing I noticed, in your screenshot, are you not able to reference your Application object from the Course object? You said it was a lookup which means it should be using the Application ID. try that and if not, definitely add it as a filter on the button itself.

‌ - Just got off the phone with a rockstart support rep (‌) and we confirmed the Top Level will work (as will SOQL which I'm not quite ready to tackle). 

Now -- can you say more about the button parameter?  I'd love some specific direction on what that means... where/how to add that in the button. 

Thanks!

REALLY looking forward to more/better documentation - thanks for working on it ‌!

Hi Beth,

You want to edit the button on the object on which you based the DDP (and it should have the Top Level relationship based on the Contact object). I think you're using Course? So go to the Course object in setup, and edit the button. At the end of the code box for the button type this: 

&ContactId=

And then from the Insert Field drop down, select ContactId.

You will end up with something that looks like this (the API name for your Course object might be different): 

&ContactId={!Course_c.ContactId_c}

Save the button, then use it to generate documents from the DDP. 

Here is a YouTube that talks about button parameters, but different parameters than the parameters you need for a Top Level relationship. 

Button Parameters - YouTube