priya
Forms Fledgling

List look up working together

Hello,

I am trying to get a list lookup control show values dependent on another lookup. I have followed the cascading dropdown menu but that doesn't seem to work as shown below

the strand lookup has 4 values, and each value has several impacts and they work by the strand lookup but it doesn't seem to.

Ideally what I want the form to do is to lookup a field and show the impacts against that field chosen, and only show those 4 impacts from a list of 12 impacts.

I have one list that show the below with column names ID, Strand, Impact

Another extensive list with each item that has a strand attached to it. SO when a user picks that once strand the list lookup only shows the impacts for that strand.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Priya

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Not applicable

Re: List look up working together

You should have two separate lists aside from your main form.

The strands list is just a basic custom list.  Use the title field (I've renamed it to category in this example)

Capture.PNG

The impacts list is similar, but add a new column which is a lookup to the strands list with "In this column:" being the column that has the data you want displayed in this list.

Capture1.PNG

Then on your form, add a list lookup to the strands list (mine is called Request Categories) and give it a name (I've named mine cat)

Capture3.PNG

Finally, add another list lookup to the Impacts list (I've got mine as Sub-Categories). Filter it by control and select the control you named above (cat in my case).  The Where field on this should be the List Column Name from the strands list lookup.

Capture4.PNG

That should about do it.

0 Kudos
priya
Forms Fledgling

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the above and i followed your example but it hasn't worked for me.

The Impacts lookup is not displaying the drop down which is filtered by the strand control.Could  it because the Impact column which is now (Title) is too long to be held as a single line of text.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Not applicable

No, that wouldn't be the issue.

It looks like the category on your impacts list was populated as a regular text field instead of a lookup to the strand list - that will account for your problem.

0 Kudos
priya
Forms Fledgling

I see what you mean and I have changed the category field to a lookup so it looks like the below

My form has the same settings as your example and now the Impact lookup only shows one impact only not any of the others when selected by the Strand field.

Any ideas why ?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Can you post the control settings for both of your lookup controls?

0 Kudos
priya
Forms Fledgling

Yeah sure the below is for the Strand

This is for the impact

Thank you for your help in advance

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I'm having a hard time reproducing the results you are seeing (1 option in the sub-category list).

You appear to have the controls configured properly.  Are your Nintex and SharePoint versions up to date?

0 Kudos
priya
Forms Fledgling

Yes the nintex and SharePoint versions are up to date just had it all recently sorted out.

Could I see your results because if the settings are correct it must just be something little I have missed. The fact it shows one then it is kind of working.

Another way I was thinking of showing the different impacts is that a drop down works against a static field so if PI is selected only the PI impacts are shown and if the QI field is selected then only the QI impacts are shown. Is that possible instead of having 2 list lookups ?

Thanks

Priya

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Priya Chohan wrote:

Another way I was thinking of showing the different impacts is that a drop down works against a static field so if PI is selected only the PI impacts are shown and if the QI field is selected then only the QI impacts are shown. Is that possible instead of having 2 list lookups ?

Is that not what the desired results have been all along?  That is what I have been providing.

0 Kudos