cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Update Item Failing

Jump to solution

I'm trying to update an item in another list. Below is a quick description of my layout

1. Set condition based on dates.
  2. If valid Update Item by setting the SharePoint column named Status that is a Single line of text with the string Active.
  3. Then Build a String action.
  4. The next action is Update Item which uses the string I just built to a update a SharePoint column name URL which is a Single line of text column.

I can only have one or the other of the Update Item active for workflow to complete. When I enable them both it errors out. I do not have verbose on as I'm not the site administrator and the error email only shows that it stops when trying to update.

What am I missing?

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
murphybp2
Nintex Newbie

Re: Update Item Failing

Jump to solution

Update Item doesn't update an item immediately, but waits until the workflow commits.  It's processed as a batch job.  So there is probably a conflict when the workflow commits with it trying to update the same item with 2 different updates.  Try adding a "Commit Pending Change" after your first update and see if that fixes the problem.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I saw that it is processed as a batch job. So I implemented the Commit pending Change and it still did not work. I was thinking of possibly separating the workflow

0 Kudos
murphybp2
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Are you getting an error message? Also, could you not update the 2 fields in a single action instead of having two separate update item actions? If there are scenarios where sometimes you would only update one field, then build the logic for that, but do the update in a single action.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I can't tell what the error is when I click on the error it shows me where it failed on the workflow which is the second Update Item action. Other than that nothing else is presented.

I'm not sure how to update two fields in a single action I tried searching for that but nothing came up. Can you tell me which action would achieve this? A for loop?

0 Kudos
murphybp2
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

When you're looking at the failed workflow, are you looking at the pictoral view of the workflow?  Have you looked at the detailed view?  That will show the workflow messages.  If you're on the pictoral view, in the workflow information box, there is a link at the very bottom of it.

To update two fields in the Update Item, you would go up to the Field drop down, and pick another field.  Every time you change that value to a new field, it adds a row for you to specify how to update that field. You can do that for as many fields as you need to update.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

sorry for delay had to get to work to look at this. I'm looking at the pictorial view. Then in the Workflow Information window on the left hand side in the status field I select "Click here to show detailed view". This redirects me to a workflow details page which shows workflow messages and the error message is this "An error has occurred in Test Workflow" which is the name of my workflow. There is nothing else to indicate where or why their is a problem.

Thank you telling me how to add another field, I did not think that by selecting a different column that it would create another filed to populate. This worked perfectly

0 Kudos