April 2017 release review

Badge +8

This post is a review of the April 2017 releases of all Nintex products. What is included in this post is my personal observation/opinion. I decided to write a review not in the same month anymore so I can name all new features, the release notes are up-to-date and I perhaps even have some time to play with them silly.png

This month, there were besides the new functionalities mentioned in this blog post, also several minor improvements, bugfixes and some security improvements. Although I do not describe the improvements, some are pretty nice too. Good work Nintex!

The biggest feature changes were imo in ‘Nintex Workflow Cloud’ and ‘Nintex Workflow for Office 365’.

*** Nintex Workflow Cloud ***

Changes

1. Some new connector events and connector actions.
  2. New action: Log to instance details.
  3. Availability of Nintex Hawkeye workflow analytics.
  4. Workflows can be configured to ingest files as part of “External start” start events.

Some new connector events and connector actions.

What is to say. Keep and going!

New action: Log to instance details.

This is a great new action, mainly for troubleshooting purposes. For on-premise, using this action for production workflow is not recommended as a bad-practice. I wonder if this also applies to NWC. At the moment, I assume not.

Availability of Nintex Hawkeye workflow analytics.

This was of course a must have for NWC. It is great to see that Nintex is offering this key feature in all “their” platforms now. Now we have to wait for Document Generation silly.png

Workflows can be configured to ingest files as part of “External start” start events.

I had no time to play with this feature yet, but I can imagine it to be big. Being able to work also with unstructured data (files) opens up several new process automation possibilities. People then do not need to have access to the data stores to be able to get access to it.

Because Nintex released this feature, I just cannot imagine that several other connectors are improved too in the future so files can be placed read from and placed into them.

Part of this feature is a new option to set a default storage location. This can be found under ‘Settings’. Below, 2 related screenshots are shown.

*** Nintex Hawkeye ***

Changes

Nothing seems to have changed here.

*** Nintex Mobile Apps ***

Changes

*** Nintex App Studio ***

Changes

*** Nintex Forms ***

Office 365

The following important information is given: This release includes changes to behaviours of some controls. The changes may require adjustments to custom JavaScript. No additional information is given.

I do not like this at all. How can we know which controls have changed? Nintex should really improve this. In real life we cannot always test everything after a new update is installed. This also applies to the important information given for Nintex Forms 2016, Nintex Forms 2013 and Nintex Forms 2010.

Changes

1. A new button action: Save and Continue
  2. A new button option: Button redirect

A new button action: Save and Continue

In March 2017, this features was added to Nintex Forms on-premise. Good to see that Office 365 was updated soon after. A blog post about this topic has already been added by Nintex: Lucky You, there's New Form Features!

A new button option: Button redirect

In March 2017, this features was added to Nintex Forms on-premise. Good to see that Office 365 was updated soon after. A blog post about this topic has already been added by Nintex: Lucky You, there's New Form Features!

*** Nintex Workflow ***

Office 365

Changes

1. Document Generation - New Features (Action Upgrade)
  2. Disable Action
  3. Support for Dynamic CRM 2016

Document Generation - New Features (Action Upgrade)

The new Document Generation functionality is just really awesome and a good blog post has already been made by Nintex (Click here). I expect that Document Generation will be one of the primary reasons why businesses will invest in Nintex, so having this awesome functionality in Office 365 is just very good to hear.

Disable Action

This is not a new action, but the possibility to disable/enable an action for existing actions. For me, this is a great addition. I use it a lot on-premise during the development of workflows and in rare occasions also when fixing an errored workflow. There was a kind of workaround (using the ‘Run If’ action) but yeah, that was more work.

Support for Dynamic CRM 2016

This addition is very customer specific of course. Businesses having Dynamic CRM 2016, Office 365 and Nintex will be able to benefit from it. Beware, this connector is not for free.

Release notes

Product

Link

Nintex Workflow Cloud

Click here

Nintex Hawkeye

Click here

Nintex Mobile Apps

Click here

Nintex App Studio

Click here

Nintex Forms for Office 365