Process Version Migration Utility

Badge +4

This is an update of the process instance version migration utility originally created by NeilM and subsequently modified by Jacob Behrnes. This version contains the following changes:

• significant performance improvements
    • allows a configurable set of environments to be used
    • filtering process instances by activity, version, status
    • migration now may be cancelled after it is started

NOTE: Cancelling the migration will still complete the migration for the current process instance

This version was tested with K2 4.6.11.

If you find any bugs, please let me know.

Please view Process Version Migration Utility v3 0 6 here: 

16 replies

Badge +4

Added logging to tab-delimited text file (for easy import to Excel) showing basic audit trail of what was migrated, when and to where.  Fixed a couple more bugs.

Can someone please provide the 4.7 version of this utility? I tired the latest version and it throws Invalid Archive type error.

Badge +4

K2_GB,

I ran a quick test in my environment and I did not get the error you reported.  There may be something unique about your environment or process that caused the failure.  Please provide the following information and I will try to assist in resolving the issue:

Is your K2 4.7 environment upgraded from 4.6.11 or built clean as 4.7?  Are your processes built from 4.6.11 or build new in 4.7?  If the process was built originally in 4.6.11, were you able to use this migration utility to migate running instances under K2 4.6.11?

What action were you performing when you received the error: retrieving process instances or upgrading process instances?  Please provide the full error message.  Does this happen only for certain processes?  All processes?  Do any processes migrate successfully with this tool for you?

Thank you.

Thanks for your reply, Steveh!

We upgraded to K2 4.7 from 4.6.11. All the process instances  that we are trying to migrate were built using 4.6.11.

It is happening for all the process instances that we have tried so far.

The error is specifically occurring at following line when I click the "Migrate" button.   

WorkflowManagementServer svr = new WorkflowManagementServer(_k2server, _k2port);

svr.Open();

svr.StopProcessInstances(procInstId); //this line is throwing exception. The error message: Invalid archive type.

thanks,

Deepak

Badge +4

Searching on the error gives the following:

http://community.k2.com/t5/K2-blackpearl/System-Exception-Invalid-archive-type-error-on-GetWorklist/td-p/50079

http://community.k2.com/t5/K2-blackpearl/Error-Invalid-Archive-Type/td-p/93476

They suggest a mismatch in version or architecture for the K2 client DLL.  I checked the HostClientAPI.dll that is included in the 3.0.3 zip file.  It is the 64-bit version based on .Net v2.  That matches what I have in my K2 Host Server/bin folder (which is where I pulled the DLL from originally).  I do see that the HostClientAPI.dll has been updated for 4.7.

My suggestion is to try copying the HostClientAPI.dll from K2's Host Server/bin folder and put it in the folder with the version migrator exe.  See if that clears up the issue.

Steve,

I referred that dll from HostServerBin. It is still throwing the same error.

Here is the code that causing the issue. I just isolated it for troubleshooting purpose.  

private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

SourceCode.Hosting.Client.BaseAPI.SCConnectionStringBuilder connectionString = new SCConnectionStringBuilder();

connectionString.Authenticate = true;

connectionString.Host = "XXX";

connectionString.Integrated = true;

connectionString.IsPrimaryLogin = true;

connectionString.Port = 5555;

WorkflowManagementServer svr = new WorkflowManagementServer();

svr.Open(connectionString.ToString());

svr.StartProcessInstances(Convert.ToInt32(ProcessId.Text));  //the line causing "Invalid Archive type" error.

}

private void button2_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

SourceCode.Hosting.Client.BaseAPI.SCConnectionStringBuilder connectionString = new SCConnectionStringBuilder();

connectionString.Authenticate = true;

connectionString.Host = "XXX";

connectionString.Integrated = true;

connectionString.IsPrimaryLogin = true;

connectionString.Port = 5555;

WorkflowManagementServer svr = new WorkflowManagementServer();

svr.Open(connectionString.ToString());

svr.StopProcessInstances(Convert.ToInt32(ProcessId.Text)); //the line causing "Invalid Archive type" error.

}

Hi, 

Did you ever solve this, by any chance?  We're upgrading (albeit to a fresh environment) and during testing have encountered the exact same error message.

Thanks,

Steve

Badge +4

Unfortunately, I have not had any time to look further into this issue.  My current assignment is not likely going to afford me the opportunity for a few months at least.  If someone else has time to look at it, feel free to post corrected code in the market.

Has anyone had any luck getting this to work with K2Five?

I have been trying off and on, but keep running into dead end null references.

Still have no time to look at this on my assignment.  And my logon account changed so I'm now Steve_H instead of steveh.  I'm not running K2 Five yet so even with time, I'm probably not going to be able to look at this.

Badge +6

Hi,

How to deploy this utility? copy and paste the DLL to Blackpearl servicebroker folder?

Thank you.

Hmm....  I'm not even able to download this anymore.  As I recall, all you need is to copy the exe and the exe.config files to a folder somewhere on the K2 server.... outside the K2 Blackpearl folder stucture (certainly not in the ServiceBroker folder).

This app was tested only with K2 4.6.11.  It does run for some on 4.7 but not for everyone.  I haven't heard from anyone whether or not it runs on K2 Five.

Badge +7

This one is outdated.

Rather use this one:
https://community.nintex.com/t5/K2-Five-blackpearl/Process-Version-Migration-Utility-v3-0-6/ta-p/176994

Badge +7

Dear all, 

Yes, the current last version is on

https://community.nintex.com/t5/K2-Five-blackpearl/Process-Version-Migration-Utility-v3-0-6/ta-p/176994

I just generated a new version compatible with K2 Five. But currently some issues appears with K2 Five new designer workflow in case of Client Event performed. The new version of the tool will prevent the migration in this case.

Olivier Chatagnon

Badge +13
Olivier it says that link you posted is not found.

That's odd.... it was there a couple weeks ago when I looked.