Solved

Minimode Links - Conflicting Information

• 13 July 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi,

The information in the help section, vs the how-to centre vs what I have experienced with minimode links is conflicting.

Nintex Help Says:

Minimode links update every time a process is published. That means a link to an unpublished process will show the current version until the process is published. When sharing a "0.xx" version process, the process version gets updated to 1.1 version, and that same minimode link shows the newer version.

Links generated for published processes behave the same way, but allow users to switch between the last published version and the current in-progress process.

In either case, once the process is published (or published again) a new minimode link will be needed to view the current state of the process. For more information, see Minimode configuration.

The How-to Centre Says:

How do Nintex Promapp minimode links for published, unpublished, and in-progress processes work?Minimode links have different behavior depending on their publishing status:

Unpublished processes

An unpublished Process is any Process that has never been published. For example, version 0.X. A minimode link generated for an unpublished process shows the latest version of the process until it is published.  Once the process is published, the minimode link shows the last unpublished version prefaced with the word Historical to indicate it is not the latest version of the process.

Published

A published process is any process that has been published. For example, version X.0. A minimode link generated for a published process shows the latest published version of the process until the process is archived.

In Progress

An in-progress process has been previously published and has some new changes saved to it.  For example, version X.X. To generate a minimode link for an in-progress process, a Process Editor should view the in-progress version of the Process and then select the Share Process Link option. This link shows the latest in-progress version of the process until it is published again. Once the process is published, the version number is prefaced with the word Historical to indicate it is not the most recent version of the process.

My Experience:

I’ve just tested a minimode link generated from the first draft of the process, version 0.1.  I edited and saved drafts of the process, I could see the updates in the minimode and see the version of the process go up (as expected).  When I published the process, I could see the version change to 1.0 in the minimode (unexpected).

I then edited the published version and could see the version change in the minimode to in progress version 1.1 and I could view either the latest published version 1.0 or the in progress version.  When publishing again, I could see the version changed to version 2.0.

I then edited the process to version 2.1 and generated a new minimode link.  I could see version 2.1 and I could also select to view the latest published version, version 2.0.  After publishing to version 3.0, I could see version 3.0 in the minimode (for both links generated).

Note - I was viewing the minimodes as an unauthenticated user.

Has the functionality changed and the help guides haven’t been updated to reflect the latest functionality or is there an issue with the way minimodes behave at the moment?

I’m currently working with a client and need to be able to explain how minimodes work for unpublished, vs published vs in progress processes.

Thanks

Tania

icon

Best answer by Nintex_Wasim 13 July 2023, 15:06

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I noticed the minimode links seem to display unpublished changes too, i dont recall seeing this before.

Is it because you’re a process editor and therefore would see the pending changes?

I’d like some clarification on this too, thanks for raising!

Eddie

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Good day, @TaniaS and @EddieThomas -

I’ve raised this internally with the Process Manager team so we can update both Nintex Help and the How-to Center with the correct minimode functionality. I’ll update this post as soon as I get more info. 

-Sam

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Good day, @TaniaS and @EddieThomas -

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and for sharing your experience with the minimode functionality using Process Manager. Please see below explanations for each publishing state:

• Unpublished processes

• An unpublished process is any process that has never been published. For example, version 0.X. A minimode link generated for an unpublished process shows the latest version of the process until it is published. Once the process is published, the minimode link shows the latest published version of the process.

• Published

• A published process is any process that has been published. For example, version X.0. A minimode link generated for a published process shows the latest published version. In other words: The URL will always show the latest published version, not the specific version you shared.

• In Progress

• An in-progress process has been previously published and has some new changes saved to it.  For example, version X.X. To generate a minimode link for an in-progress process, a Process Editor should view the in-progress version of the process and then select the Share Process Link option. This link will always show the most recent version, regardless of the publishing state. In other words: The URL will always show the most recent version, regardless of state.

My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. These explanations have been updated in our How-To Center article and will reflect accordingly in our Help Documentation. Once again, thank you for reaching out and we hope this answers your questions relating to minimode links.​​​​​​

-Wasim​​​​​​

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Is there any way of knowing which of the 3 methods described above was used to generate the link?

We now have a situation where multiple processes are being shared across hundreds of SharePoint pages (and elsewhere) that may display unpublished changes depending on the version of the process when the minimode link was generated. This isn't ideal!

How do I know if a change to a process will be visible to someone who has a minimode link?

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Thanks for responding @Nintex_Sam and @Nintex_Wasim 😊

The way I read this is regardless or what status the process is in, the minimode will now display the most current version, and additionally, once a process is published and edits are made, the end user can toggle between the most current version and the latest published version, is that correct?

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thanks for responding @Nintex_Sam and @Nintex_Wasim 😊

The way I read this is regardless or what status the process is in, the minimode will now display the most current version, and additionally, once a process is published and edits are made, the end user can toggle between the most current version and the latest published version, is that correct?

No, that is incorrect.

For minimode links created when a process has unpublished changes, the link will show unpublished changes, even after the process is next published (i.e. v1.1, v1.2, v2.0, v2.1, v2.2, v3.0).

For minimode links created when a process is published (vx.0) it will only show published versions (i.e v1.0, v2.0, v3.0).

The issue here is that you may have a published process (say version 5.0) that is being displayed via a minimode link that may/may not display any unpublished changes depending on the process version when the link was created.

There is no way of checking a given minimode link to determine the version of the process when the minimode link was generated. The only way to ensure the user doesn't see unpublished changes (which is how I thought minimode worked) is to either:

• Test it by making a change to the process and see if it changes the version in the minimode link (and then fix it) or
  • Fix it by recreate the link from the published version

It looks like this issue has been raised before Viewing processes using minimode links | Community (nintex.com) @Penny highlighted the ‘trick’ to make it perform as you described in her response, i.e.

“So in summary - the trick is - the make sure you are viewing the published version of the Process for any minimode links where you want the minimode link to always show the latest published version of the process. “

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Thanks @EddieThomas 

The trick makes sense, I just tested minimodes created on an in progress version vs a published version in my tenant and it behaved as you described, thanks, I’m clear on how to explain this to my client now 😊