Solved

Capturing more than one email in a form

Badge +10

Hi, I currently have a list with a form and workflow. The list form has a people picker that allows for multiple selections, but only allows our internal emails. The workflow sends an email to all of these people. We would like to start including external users on the email. I thought that maybe I could use the email field that is available in the form designer, but that only allows for one selection and we need it to be a dynamic number of users. Will I have to create multiple fields and not be dynamic? Is there anything else I can do instead?

icon

Best answer by Garrett 24 August 2022, 19:36

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @aak1 

Why don't you use the Repeating Section?
Add the email control into the Repeating Section. Users will be able to add emails for a dynamic number of users

Badge +10

Hi @Garrett 

Yes, that makes sense. I just have to figure out how to extract the emails from the field connected to the repeating section now. Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @aak1 

Save the Repeating Section to a SP Multiline Plain Text field (Long-Text).

Fill up one form and submit it. This will save the data into the field.

Use the XML Query to extract the data from the field.

Refer to

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-for-Office-365-Forum/XML-Query-repeating-section/m-p/219666

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-for-Office-365-Forum/Query-XML-An-exception-occurred-while-processing-parameter/td-p/219094 

If you have any difficulties, paste the XML value and I can guide you to extract the email 

Badge +10

Thanks, @Garrett ! I've got the following XML

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><RepeaterData><Version>1.0</Version><Items><Item><_e008d784d6a233e23a7f7ae63fe10299 type="System.String">email1@domain.com</_e008d784d6a233e23a7f7ae63fe10299></Item><Item><_e008d784d6a233e23a7f7ae63fe10299 type="System.String">email2@domain.com</_e008d784d6a233e23a7f7ae63fe10299></Item></Items></RepeaterData>

I've got the query as: /RepeaterData/Items/Item/ , but I can't tell what the last thing behind Item should be.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

@aak1 

Use any online XML formatter or beautifier tool to structure the XML

Your XPath query is /RepeaterData/Items/Item/_e008d784d6a233e23a7f7ae63fe10299

Badge +10

@Garrett 

That's what I guessed it was, I just wasn't sure. Putting that in and giving an output of a collection variable. I tried logging to history to see what was in the collection, but I just get an error stating "XML content is invalid. Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.."

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

@aak1 

Did you refer to this page?

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-for-Office-365-Forum/Query-XML-An-exception-occurred-while-processing-parameter/td-p/219094 

Did you view the XML settings on the page?

Badge +10

@Garrett 

Yes, I reviewed that page and I can see no difference between what is there and what I've done. Obviously something is different, I just don't know what.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @aak1 

You create a Form with a Repeating Section, right?

Which SP (multiline plaintext type) column is connected to the Repeating Section?

When you view this SP column, do you see the XML, right?

So, when you perform the Query XML, should you be referring to this SP column?

In the example, the SP column is "Huddle Interventions",
and as such the XML source is "{Current Item:Huddle Interventions}"

Whereas you are pointing to the "Current Item". Why is that? 

Cheers

Badge +10

@Garrett 

Yes, that was the mistake. Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @aak1 

Wrong mindset, its not a mistake, its a learning opportunity 😎

Glad you manage to solve the issue

Cheers