Skip to main content

K2 blackpearl 4.6.11

We have not built too many Smartforms but the few that we did used the SF only for the UI, the process was built using K2 for Visual Studio. Recently, we tried building a Smartform entirely using the browser-based K2 Designer and ran into several issues that required workarounds and took a lot of time to resolve.

1. Tasks require one outcome per action. It’s not possible to route to Activity 1..N based on value of a string/environment variable, need workaround to create dummy activity, etc. In Visual Studio K2 process design, we can define 1 action and multiple outcomes through line rules. How can this be done in SF?

2.   There is no ability to run onload code  for an activity to, for instance, log data to an Oracle table when an activity is initiated. In Visual Studio process design, we can create Client/Server events for each activity where we can write db operations code etc. How can this be done in K2 Designer?

3.       No easy way  to run a process in test mode where ALL actions/destinations are routed to initiator instead of real users.  In VS, we can use logical If/Expressions/String Fields values etc while assigning the Activity Participants. Again, how to do this in K2 Designer?

4.  Context Browser is not always available for all tasks (to drag/drop environment variables into the process) .

5. Our business process requires that every activity provide an action to "consult" any of the previous participants in the process. Similar to #1, we were able to eassily achieve this using VS and custom code but not sure how to do this using K2 Designer.

Overall, the promise of K2 Smartforms has been that it is a rapid development tool and enables customers to quickly build out forms/interfaces and processes compared to .NET UI and VS/blackpearl process but we don't exactly see the benefits. Are we missing anything?

Thanks

This is a little old but it still holds: https://help.k2.com/k2ls-qrs013.aspx

In anycase, no, you're not missing anything. K2 Designer was not meant to be a 1:1 replacement for K2 Studio/K2 for Visual Studio in terms of building workflows/processes, it was meant for a different demographic.

Thanks, I will ask K2 Support if there is an updated version of that document.

https://help.k2.com/kb002091

https://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/k2five/userguide/5.0/default.htm#LegacyDesigntools/Cross_Designer_Compatibility.htm

This content applies to legacy design tools (such as K2 Studio, K2 for Visual Studio, or the Silverlight-based K2 workflow design tool). If you have upgraded from K2 blackpearl 4.7 to K2 Five, these tools may still be available for use in your environment. These legacy tools will not be available in new installations of K2 Five. These legacy tools may also not be supported, or behave as described here, in future updates or versions of K2.

But I am confused. The product roadmap states that new installations of K2 5.0 do not include the legacy tools like Visual Studio and all development should be done using the new HTML5 browser-based designer. So this would work well for the standard business user but what if we need the advanced functionality provided by the Visual Studio tooling? Can the new K2 5.0 Designer do everything I mentioned in my original post that we currenly do using K2 for Visual Studio?

Thanks

Not everything, especially with your custom codes in server events and activities. There will no longer be a way to inject custom codes in the new workflow designer. So if you still want to do that, you got to stick with visual studio until you decide to move it into a seperate web service or something similar that can be exposed as a smartobject to be executed in your workflow. 

Feature wise, it definitely has more features than the web workflow designer in 4.7. For your task outcomes, I believe the following should suffice:

http://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/k2five/userguide/5.0/default.htm#K2_Workflow_Designer/Use/Toolbox/Basic/Task/TaskTabs/05ResultsVoting/RuleScenarios/04/Custom-Voting-Rule-Task.htm

I also need to say this, that it's not a fair comparison to compare 4.7 design tools and the 5.0 designer as apples to apples, which a lot of people are doing. The 5.0 designer was built from the ground up with new standards and methodologies in mind, so it's a different approach to almost everything. So in a way, think of it as a brand new thing, not an upgrade.