Skip to main content
Can someone please help me to understand the Sync group functionality of sharepoint k2 app? I understand that it is a background activity runs once in 8 hours. What does it do? Does it get all the sharepoint groups and users to K2? 
Which is/are the smart objects responsible for performing this action in the background. 
When a workflow is triggered with user context, how it gets authenticated?

Hi,

There are few things happening under the hood when a SharePoint group is being synced with K2. You can find out more information below.

K2 Identity cache mechanism

https://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/k2blackpearl/icg/4.6/webframe.html#Tweaking_identity_cache_performance_for_the_K2_Server.html

ForceIdentityRefresh tool

http://community.k2.com/t5/General-K2-Utilities/Force-Identity-Service-Refresh/ba-p/74061

The group sync occurs automatically and there is no needed to do anything. In some cases, you will probably need to use the above ForceIdentityRefresh tool to expire the current SharePoint group’s cache and refresh it via UMUser SmartObject’s Get Group Users method. This method requires a label name (SP) and the group provider name (sitenameSP_group name) to execute. You might also want to use another SmartObject, UMGroup SmartObject’s Get Groups method to validate that K2 can see the SP group.

I have seen a few times when SP groups would no longer return SharePoint group members and it had to do with a change in site’s name. A good example is, I have a site collection and this site collection is registered in K2. A record of the site collection is created in HostServer.GroupProvider table. Every time, I request a sync of a SharePoint group. K2 reaches out to this table and determines the corrected record to sync users for the SharePoint group. Let’s say the name of the site collection is renamed, and K2 doesn’t know about this change. The group sync will not work correctly. To fix this, we rename the site back to original name and run Registration Wizards. This will sync everything together and the group sync will work again.

There are some other cases when you have an AD groups inside a SharePoint group and things are not working. I suggest opening a K2 support ticket. If you have Blackpearl 4.7, then I would recommend getting the latest March CU and FP from support team.