SetEscalationRule

• 31 December 2005
  • 2 replies

Badge +3
I have a question about escalations. We have set up a database with our users and we have assigned escalation timespans within that database. We had envisioned that each user could have their own escalation timespans. For example, the first user assigned an activity instance would have a 1 day to complete. If that user did not complete the activity, the activity instance would be escalated to his manager whom may have 2 days to complete because they have a busier schedule.

So, we have added custom code to both the EscalationRule and EscalationAction. I have done some logging and noticed that the EscalaitionRule is only called one time (which makes sense) while the EscalationAction is called every time there is an escalation. In the EscalationRule, we call out to our DB and we get the current destination user s escalation timespan and set it via the SetEscalationRule method.

In my scenario, when the manager is escalated to, is there a way to reset the timespan via the SetEscalationRule method from within the EscalationActionContext? From what I can tell, I only have access to the SetEscalationRule one time per activity instance and that is when the EscalationRule is executed.

TIA,
Jason

2 replies

Badge +11
Hi Jason,

The only way to reset the timespan of the Escalation, is to 'Expire' the current Activity and re-instantiate it with a new timespan and new destination user.

How do you Escalate the work to the manager?

Have you had a look at the 'Redirect Escalation' component available for download from the Customer and Partner portal? Is this what you are currently using?

Regards,
Ockert
Badge +3
We are not using AD for several reasons. When an escalation event is raised, we simply change the Destination user via the EscalationActionContext object. I just read the redirect escalation and we may be able to use it but right now we can't for various reasons. I will look into expiring the activity.