cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

"You are not authorized to respond to this task." message

I can't find any information on what security group a user needs to be in to 'approve' a workflow approval request.

Does anyone know?  Is it a SharePoint Approvers group that they need to be a part of?

Labels: (1)
14 Replies
Not applicable

Re: "You are not authorized to respond to this task." message

Hi Wyvonne,

They'll need to have the SharePoint Permissions Level "Contribute". 

I've also included a Security Settings table from the Nintex Workflow Help File Excerpts (look here for user guide content), which explains the different levels!

4.11 Security Settings

According to how a user is required to interact with Nintex Workflow there are different security considerations to be made. The table below outlines the minimum permissions required to perform the actions described. In general, the runtime permissions can be inherited from the site or the parent site but must be the effective permissions for the given user at the list level.

Nintex RoleRequired "SharePoint Permission Level"Note
Approver/ReviewerContribute (at the item level at least)This role includes all users who will be able to perform their assigned human task as part of the workflow from the SharePoint site. Users may be assigned tasks even without these permissions.
Lazy ApproverNoneThis role includes all users who will be able to use LazyApproval to respond to their assigned task. The user however will need at least "Read" permissions if they wish to visit the site.
Workflow DesignerDesignThis role includes all users who are responsible for creating and maintaining workflows. With these permissions the user can use the Nintex Workflow designer as well as the related tools and pages. In order to be able to publish a workflow, the user will need to be configured as a Workflow Designer.
Site AdministratorFull Control (on the site)This role is responsible for activating and configuring the site level Nintex Workflow settings from the "Site Settings" page.
Server AdministratorFull Control (on the central administration site)This role is responsible for the installation and the server level configuration of Nintex Workflow.
Workflow userContributeCan start workflows, add schedules, view history and progress reports.

Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

I've written a blog post on this in the past.

Permissions for Nintex Workflow interactions | Kevin Annfield's Blog

The big permission that caught me out was you can't just give item level permissions to the task or item the workflow is running on. You still need Read permissions on the underlying site (my client needed us to remove this for a pretty specific reason).

Good luck

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

One of my work colleague came to me with a similar issue, he had changed the Work Flow tasks list settings and modified the Item-level Permissions (Under advanced settings).

This need to be set so that users can "Read all Items" and also "Create and edit all items" otherwise they will receive that error message.

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Thanks, I will be reading it very soon! Got to go catch up with my support tickets and then back to Nintex.

Thank you for your quick reply,

wyvonne

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

I've wondered about the permissions for the different Nintex roles. This is very useful!

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

I have just confirmed this as well. When the ApproveReject.aspx page loads it does some site level checks on lists. It is a hard requirement to have at least read permissions at the site level.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

I believe an additional user role that comes up a few times in Nintex Workflow I design is the ability to only "read" workflow tasks but not action them nor delegate.

For instance imagine that a workflow request a report to be written and user attach a file to it: both text report and attachments are stored into the workflow task but some view-only users like auditors cannot open the tasks and if we give higher level they will be able to do more such as edit.

I mention this issue and my findings to give such access in the comments of Kevin's blog here Permissions for Nintex Workflow interactions | Kevin Annfield's Blog  with one problem: users can also create pages/sites/library which is not wanted.

Any simple "Nintex workflow reader" role recommendations would be appreciated please.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

I have a view that groups the task by assigned to so that corporate mgrs. can see what’s in the pipe. I would like these folks to be able to simply view the individual item but not be able to have all of the other permissions/capabilities that Contribute provides. I changed the view so that the link doesn’t go to the edit item but rather the view item page but my users are still getting this error “You are not authorized to respond to this task” despite being at the view item page. This really needs to be fixed!

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

We have these settings on our environment but users are still not able to read.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply