Pre-populate list look-up values when QR code scanned

Badge +9

Hi all,

I'm trying to pre-populate list lookup data when a QR code is scanned on mobile. I've followed the explanations and recommendations in these articles but I can't get it to work sad.png. I'm not sure what I'm missing, may be another set of eyes can help.. 

Nintex Mobile Deep Linking: Prepopulating a list lookup field 

Getting even deeper linking with Nintex Mobile and Nintex Mobile Enterprise 

Tutorial: Nintex Mobile deep linking for auto-submitting scanned codes 

Nintex Mobile: Showing off it's Assets 

How to set up barcode scanning in the Nintex Mobile App 

I'm testing on a custom app that is built in Nintex App studio (just the design is different) but it should be exactly the same as the generic Nintex mobile app. 

SharePoint 2013 on prem, testing from Android, Using the built in Chrome scanner, scanning QR codes.

Here is an explanation of what I'm trying to do: 

I have a look up list of vehicles set up as the following: 

203444_pastedImage_7.png

I've generated qr codes url's for each vehicle that look like this:

nintexmobile://form?ntx-name=Security%20Check&Vehicle=Car&MakeYear=2011&Model=Mitsubishi&ntx-autosubmit=true&ntx-msgLoading=Loading%20Inspection%20Form&ntx-msgSuccess

then my inspections or security check list and form where the user will scan the bar code looks like this:

203446_pastedImage_9.png

203445_pastedImage_8.png

The barcode is a single line of text that has the bar code enabled.

203447_pastedImage_10.png

I can scan from the mobile app with no issues. But only the bar code gets populated into the list. I need the other vehicle information to display as well. And preferably have this data even populate before submission of the form to sharepoint so the user would be able to review the data /re-scan for another vehicle before submitting the form if needed.

203448_pastedImage_11.png

Notice the Vehicle, Model and Make year come as blanks? I've tried also with Single line of texts but still didn't work. sad.png 

Any idea where the problem is? Is it the format of the URL?

Note: I'm using the name of the control in the URL as answered here Nintex Mobile Deep Linking: Prepopulating a list lookup field 

What am I missing??

203449_pastedImage_13.png

203450_pastedImage_14.png 203451_pastedImage_15.png

Additional question:

May be the way that I'm generating the qr code is incorrect? 

for example if my custom app (which is an internal app - not in app store/play store) is called CompanyABC, when I tried to generate a qr code of type website, the code generator I'm using didn't allow to generate this type of code, it didn't consider it a URL. however with nintexmobile:// prefix, it worked with no issues and I was able to generate the code. 

ntx-companyabc://form?ntx-name=Security%20check&Vehicle=Car&VehicleSL=Car&MakeYear=2011&MakeYearSL=2011&ModelSL=Mitsubishi&Model=Mitsubishi&ntx-autosubmit=true&ntx-msgLoading=Loading%20Inspection%20Form&ntx-msgSuccess

if this is the issue, any recommendations of websites/tools that can generate a qr code for a custom app? I'm new to this and any recommendations are highly appreciated.

not to mention that I also tried the same form in Nintex mobile app (not my custom app) with the nintexmobile:// url and still didn't work sad.png 

7 replies

Badge +9

‌, ‌, ‌.. Would you please assist with this issue? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

you mix up two different things.

'Enable barcode scanning' option is just to make data input easier, ie. so that you need not to type in data manually you can read them in from a bar- or QR-code. but it doesn't interpret the content. therefore you can see link from QR populated into text field but lookups are not prepopulated.

deep links on the other hand is a concept where if you read a bar/QR-code, reader app is able to identify what application should be invoked and send into it data content from deep link. that (usually) means that you have to read the code out of the application itself with a dedicated code reader application capable of interpret barcode content (deep links) and invoke linked application.

so I suggest to find and install into mobile device some suitable QR code reader application.

then use this application to read your QR codes. if deep link is correctly build (which in your case seems to be so), it will invoke nintex mobile (or your custom) application and populate data into single controls.

Badge +9

Oh I see. I had a feeling that I'm missing something. Thanks  for clarifying. This is a new learning for me.

OK, I will test with an external qr code scanner and see if it opens my app or the nintex app and populate the data. 

But how about if I want to populate the data or show the metadata values of the vehicle being scanned on nintex mobile. Does the structure of the URL (qr code) should be different? and how do I make it work this way? 

Badge +9

OK. I started to get the point now that I've tested from an external QR code app. I was able to get the URL to open the nintexmobile app, view the form (don't want to auto submit at this point) and I was able to populate the Title field with the value I wanted.. so some progress there happy.png..

But still I cannot populate single line of texts or lookup fields values ... sad.png Is the url only able to populate one field? why it is not taking the other fields as well?? All the red text below for other fields I'm trying to populate are getting ignored for some reason. The "model", "Vehicle" fields are lookup fields while the "MakeYearSL", "ModelSL", "VehicleSL" are single line of text fields.

nintexmobile://form?ntx-name=Security%20Check&Title=Bus%20Vehicle&Vehicle=Car&VehicleSL=Car&MakeYearSL=2011&ModelSL=Mitsubishi&Model=Mitsubishi&ntx-autosubmit=false&ntx-msgLoading=Loading%20Inspection%20Form

Badge +9

Update; I was just able to populate the single line of texts. The reason was I didn't enable barcode scanning on all of them. I only enabled it on Title. My bad.. Now will see what's with the lookups. The barcode option is not even available for them. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I see you progress step by step happy.png

barcode scanning shouldn't be a reason, I've never used it. as I already mentioned this option is for another purposes

control names are case sensitive, so make sure you put them to URL just like you named them

check whether lookups are correctly populated with with list of values you expect

until you tune rest of the URL I would remove ntx-autosubmit and ntx-msgLoading, they are just optional

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You seem to be making progress on this happy.png 

You'll see in App Studio that it now has a built in Barcode scanner you can add to the menu of your app.. This will allow your users to open Deep links from within the app and not have to rely on a 3rd party QR code scanner. Briefly mention it here