Smartforms 4.6.9 inside SharePoint 2010 (iFrame or Smartform viewer webpart)

• 27 April 2015
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hi!

We have SharePoint 2010 sites where we display Smartforms in different ways inside webparts. We use iFrame, Page Viewer or K2 Smartforms Viewer webpart (by K2).

All of these have been working fine until we upgraded to Smartforms 4.6.9. The issue is a Javascript-error which prevents the forms from loading.

The root cause is the document mode in the browser. By default, SharePoint 2010 requires document mode IE8 in order to function properly. Beacuse the K2 forms are displayed in webparts, they also get IE8 document mode. But the K2 forms does not work in IE8 document mode. So we need a way of displaying the K2 forms with a different document mode than SharePoint 2010.

My question is, has anyone solved this issue and how?

Thanks!

5 replies

Badge +10

HI,

I've had similar issues. Before the upgrade  to 4.6.9 forms would run on ie8 but i dont think it was ever fully supported by smartforms according to the matrix table. But now, if IE8 is used they cannot open the form at all, it shows a unsupported browser message.

Have you tried opening the sharepoit page with the smartforms embedded inside in a browser higer than ie 8. Maybe just test some forms on a higer browser to see if there are any usability problems.

Badge +2

We are using IE11 in IE8 doc mode. If we change to IE9 doc mode, or higher, the forms work as expected.

We are aware that IE8 browser is no longer supported in 4.6.9.

Badge +10

Hi Dino,

The solution in many cases here has been to both check, and modify the sharepoint master pages.

As y ou noted, K2 4.6.9 is the first version to implement some of these changes.  Previously, document mode 8 was 'required' to get the web-parts to display correctly.  If you check your master pages, you may find a tag similar to this:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8"/>

This essentially tells the browser to use IE8 compatibility settings to view the sharepoint site.

You can update your master pages with the following tag:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=9"/>

Which should nudge the browser into using a more appropriate setting.

Regards,

Mike

Badge +2

Hi!

Yes, changing that tag is a solution for the K2 forms. But we are also in a discussion with Microsoft about this, and by default SharePoint 2010 master pages should render in IE8 docmode. This puts everyone in an impossible situation:

- IE8 docmode: SharePoint 2010 works, K2 forms does not work

- IE9 and above: SharePoint 2010 does not work properly, K2 forms work

I think that K2 dropped support too early for IE8 mode. They should have had the backwards compatibility in mind. Many companies are still on SharePoint 2010 and must have IE8 docmode.

Badge +1

Hi,

I agree with Dino.

We had the same issue in IE9. But it was ok with Chrome. I had to test with IE11.

Finally we modified the master page of the SharePoint site.