Unable to copy list items from one list to another list within the same site

• 31 August 2018
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

I have a Issue tracking list with custom columns, I wanted to archive this list so I saved the original list  (list A ) as a template and created a new list from that template (list B). We are using SharePoint 2013.

I made a workflow to query list A with an archive date  (items older than 12 months) and added a for each loop to do the copy to list B. Everytime I run this workflow it errors out  with the message below.

The workflow could not copy the item. Make sure the source and destination lists have the same columns and column settings. 

I am not sure what is the difference, I did notice when the new list (list B) was created with the template it did have its standard columns like Related Issue, comment ..which I deleted to make sure the two lists are absolutely identical but for some reason there is a difference that I cant seem to find.  Anyone have any suggestions?

1 reply

Badge +1

I think I was saving the template with a space in the filename, I noticed when I name the template without any spaces the list gets copied correctly and then the archive workflow works. However I forgot to turn off the workflows associated with the copied list (mental note to remove all workflows from the copied list unless you want the workflows to start as the items get copied). 

Anyway this solution worked for me so thought I would share.