Reproduce workflow for different Client

• 29 April 2016
  • 3 replies

Badge +9

HI Guys,

I have recently completed one K2 Workflow for one client. I would like to reproduce the same workflow for a different client and and do some changes so that I do not have to redo the same thing again, and with minor changes I can put the workflow into production for different client. What is the best of doing this ?

Given that Database for different clients are different but are in the same server. Tables fields, stored procedures are all same, but in different database. I have created a some of the smartobjects based on these tables and stored procedures and then created different views and forms.

SO what is the best and optimal solution to reproduce the complete workflow for different client.

Thanks.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8
Dear ,

If i understood u right , u have forms and views already built on the different environment , so , using the workflow should be done in couple of steps , in my documents --> k2 sutdio folder , u will have ur workflow , copy it and paste it into the environment u need , make the changes u want , and u will need yo rerun the smatforms client event wizard to apply this workflow activities into the new smartforms u build into the targeted environment , then deploy it .
These steps should be done and work fine for u .

Hope it helps!
Regards.
Badge +9

Thank you Ahmed for your response.

My project requirement is different. Let me explain in details.

I have build a K2 workflow in VS 2010 and Smartforms in K2 Desginer. I have build smartforms using Views and Smartobjects.

Case 1: Company ABC

MS SQL Database : ABC Database of GreatPlains (MS Dynamics GP)

step1: I have created a custom Database with some custom Tables and Stored Procesures to retrieve records from ABC.

Note: Since creating a ABC service objects of SQL Service instance could not work due to thousands of tables and stored procedures. I thought custom database with tables and stored procedure might be the best practice to avoid overhead in creating unnecessary service objects.

step 2: created smartobjects for custom tables and stored procedures of company ABC using service tester utility.

step 3: created views and forms for company ABC and define rules in views and forms.

step 4: created an end point service broker , copied dll in servicebroker folder and created its smartobject for integrating with Dynamics GP.

step 5: created a workflow using VS 2010 and integrate with smartform.

step 6: build and deployed in production server.

Now, I would like to re-produce the same workflow for different company XYZ. Its totally different workflow for different company.

Here database will be different and custom tables and stored proceduces will be different and views and forms are created based on the smartobjects created.

How can accomplish this with minimal effort without re-doing the same thing again. Thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

I think we need to change the discussion a bit. Putting the differences aside for a moment, what will be the same between the solutions? The question is about reusability with as little rework as possible, but the list you just provided indicated the each item in your stack was going to be different. 

The artifacts that are the most crucial in this scenario are the smart objects. Are the smart objects themselves going to be able to expose the same properties and method names for which they are currently configured? You can easily remove the current SQL Service instance mappings and map to new service instance for the data structure of your next project as long as the properties and methods that the smart objects expose don't change it would be little impact the dependent forms, views and workflows.

However, if the smart object signatures are going to have to change, then you have little recourse but to have to do a significant amount of rework.