sharepoint group as destination

Badge +8

Hi,
is it possible to use a sharepoint group for destination rule? In beta it was not working. In my process the sharepoint group isn't resolved. No task is created for the user which are in the sharepoint group. I am using sharepoint workflow intregation client event. I am also using a process data field where the name of the sharepoint group is stored. May be this is a problem but it shouldn't be one, right?!
Thx, Jochen

15 replies

Badge +4

Hi Jochen

Currently this is not possible and a known issue. It is logged as a bug to be fixed for a future release of K2 blackpoint.

Thanks,

Badge +8
Many thanks. Do you in in which release this will be fixed.
Is there a known workaround for this?
Jochen
Badge +4

Hi Jochen

Unfortunatly it not yet clear in what release this will be fixed. But as I said in my previous post, this is a known issue and the developers are working it.

I have done some tests and I could not find any workarounds for this issue.

Hope this helps,

Badge +4

Hi Jochen

After further investigation I found that when you use a MOSS group in K2 studio as a destination, you must make sure of the following points:

1.) If the MOSS group contains an AD group the 'Type' dropdown in the Destination Rule wizard must be set to 'Group'.
2.) If the MOSS group contains users but no AD groups, the dropdown in the Destination Rule wizard must be set to 'Users'

If the MOSS group has both users and a AD group in, the users will receive worklist items that falls in the type that you have selected in the Dest rule Wizard. So if you selected user in the type dropdown, only the users in the MOSS group will be able to see their items but not the users that lives in the AD group. Else if you select 'Group' from the type, then its the other way around. The users thats located in the AD group will be able to see their items but not the users thats not part of the AD group.

I hope this helps,

Badge +4

It is not working for me in Blackpearl 4.5. I tried  both (Group & Users).

I have sharepoint group with users from AD.

The process throws error "Users cannot be found".

Anyone has resolved this issue.

Regards

Nathan, london

Badge +6

I think the error is coming from SharePoint. Do you have atleast one user in that group. Try creating a new group and test with that.

Badge +5

I've found that the format of the SPGroup as destination should be something like servernamespgroup and simply passing in spgroup doesn't work - correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, do you have the GroupProviders for the Site added?  Look in Workspace under Management Console.  I think they can get added when you Activate the K2 features via Central Admin: K2 for Sharepoint tab.

Regards,
Frikkie!

Badge +5

Frikkie:

Where are you referring to when you say 'GroupProviders for the site added' in the workspace?  For blackpoint, there is only the process portal.  Also, should the format be  [Label]:[Site][GroupName]? 

Ex:  K2:PortalSiteHRApprovers

Badge +6

I think groupproviders cannot be viewed from process portal or workspace(blackpearl). You can find them in the database under [K2HostServer].[dbo].[GroupProvider] table. the format you mentioned is correct.

e.g: K2:Denallix - IntranetSPtestGroup

Badge +5

Thanks for the quick reply.  I only have two users and no AD groups in my group.  My problem is that when I specify the format K2:Denallix - IntranetSPtestGroup and speciy 'User' as the destination 'Type', the activity instance report shows 'K2:Denallix - IntranetSPtestGroup' as the destination user, but I specified to resolve all groups to users.  I was expecting to see two users in the activity instance report, and also when I log in as one of the users in that group, they don't have anything in their queue.  Basically the process isn't going into an error state and is waiting for the client event, but none of the users in the SP group have items in their work list.

Badge +5

Here is what I've found:

I don't want to 'hard code' the SharePoint group name as the destination user (i.e. drag it out from the Context Browser).  I have a drop down field in the SharePoin library that is labeled 'Distribution Group'.  This basically has a list of a few SharePoint group names to choose from.  In the Destination Rule, I'm typing:  K2:Portal and then dragging in the process data field that captures the selected group.  The end result looks like:

K2:Portal[DistributionGroup]

This does not work.  The process doesn't error, but the activity instance report shows K2:PortalDistributionGroup rather than each user.  It will correctly resolve to users if I drag out the SP Group name from the Context Browser.  I believe this is a bug and will log accordingly.

Badge +6

When you add a sharepoint group as a destination, are you dragging the group from the Context Browser. If you do that, the wizard automatically sets the type as Group and thats the way it should be. in my example " K2:Denallix - IntranetSPtestGroup", Denallix - Intranet is a group provider. On a default installation, the group providers take the same name as the site name. If you have changed it during "K2 for SharePoint Activaition" you must use that name. check in the group provders table if they have the same names as the site name

Badge +5

Yes, I dragged the group from the Context Browser to see the formatting (i.e. a green K2:PortalTestGroup).  Using this approach worked.  What didn't work was when I don't drag in a group, but type 'K2:Portal' and then drag in a process data field next to that that contains the group name.

Badge +6

Is Portal a valid groupprovider name. The groupprovider name could be different from site name. Are you setting the type as group

Badge +3

Eric, did you ever find a workaround for this?  I'm trying to do nearly the exact same thing (dynamically assign destinations).

On that note, we have the siteURL, but is there a way to retrieve the current site name?  What I've resorting to trying is creating a web service to return the group name I need for the given site.