Authenticaion Required For Session

• 27 October 2008
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

Good afternoon all,

There has been this problem that pops up from time to time in our environment, but first the specs on our environment:

Distributed environment (K2BP on one box, SQL on another, one MOSS WFE on another box) - Kerberos set up and healthy

This happens very randomly it seems but sometimes when a user opens a InfoPath form through either the email that gets sent out, or through the K2 Task List, the form fails to load and gives the super generic 'Some Rules Were Not Applied' error message.  When looking at the logs this is what we find this message:

The following query failed: Employee_Get_User_Details (User: TRIWEST
steele, Form Name: Education Reimbursement Check Request, IP: , Request: http://moss/_layouts/k2/k2formserver.aspx?k2conn=hqvswsbpdev1&SN=1087_13, Form ID: urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:infopath:Education-Reimbursement-Check-Request:-myXSD-2008-09-15T16-50-51, Type: DataAdapterException, Exception Message: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.  System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.Exception: Authentication required for session DFD235688064747382C7D69EFA5D6C6B

The matching entry in the HostServer log shows that the user has authenticated with Kerberos as well.

Employee is a basic smart object to return AD user infomation (along with some additional properties that are defined in the clients AD structure).

Also, some users at the client site seem to have the same issue, but only from their machines, if they were to come over to my box and log into the MOSS site under their credentials, they are able to submit/open forms just fine.

Could this be a hardware issue with the client machines, or is there something else I should look into?

5 replies

Badge +3

I didn't get the same error message, but the same randomness and the same authentication issue. This was with a distributed environment with K2.net 2003, but I tracked it down to the users who were having issues were those who hadn't rebooted their computer in 5+ days. Those that rebooted frequently did not have the issue. We never did solve it, but we suspected it was something to do with the kerberos tickets not expiring/recreating appropriately, and upon a reboot, the issue was magically resolved.

I would suspect that's why some of your users are having the issue on their machine, but if they go over to your computer it's fine. Hopefully this helps a little, we never did solve it - we just told our internal support people to have the user reboot and try again, and it always fixed the issue.

Badge +4

That sounded like a great idea, but having the users reboot didn't fix it for some of them.

The one user (so far) who is can't open/submit a form at all is another consultant from my company onsite with me here.  We have identical permissions across the board, it is interesting to say the least.  A couple other new employees did have problems accessing certain MOSS sites at different points throughout the day (non k2 related), they were getting 401 errors even though they had been given access to the site.  I wonder if somehow these problems are related to some weird anomaly at the client site.

Badge +3

Hi,

We had nearly the same error. Try this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269643/en-us

I know, that this regedit workaround is only for IE5 and for users who are in more than 1500 groups, but in our scenario it worked. (And our users are only in 70+ groups and we are using IE6 and IE7.

Badge +4

Hi Marco -

Quick question, did you install the hot fixes or simply do the registry change?

Thanks!

Badge +3

The hotfix seems to be already there in SP2 of Win2k3. So I only made the registry changes and it works now.