A New Spin on the 401 Error

• 22 April 2005
  • 2 replies

Badge +1
I have K2.net SP1 running on a Win2k SP4 server. I am able to use a browser to reach the workspace, but a coworker of mine gets the infamous 401 error - access denied.

He is set up in the Service Manager with the exact same rights as I am. Any ideas why one person would get in and another get denied?

UPDATE!!

I am running XP on my machine while the gent that's unable to access Workspace is running 2000. I had him log onto my machine and it works fine for him. Then I logged into his 2000 machine under my ID and got the 401 error. Hmmm....

2 replies

Badge +8
You need to verify that the IE on the W2K client machine allows integrated authentication. You can verify that Integrated Authentication is on by doing the following:
1. Open IE on the W2K machine and click "Tools", "Internet Options..." and select the last tab called "Advanced".
2. You'll see quite a few settings and accompanying checkboxes. Scroll to the bottom of the list and make sure that the "Enable Integrated Windows Authentication (requires restart)" is checked.
3. If it is not checked, check the item, click "OK", close all open programs and restart the machine.

This should enable integrated authentication on the W2K machine and allow you to browse Workspace from it.
Badge +1
that was it, dc! thanks!