K2 BlackPearl 4.6 SmartActions duplicate emails

Badge +1

So we just recently upgraded to version 4.6 of K2 BlackPearl.  We recently started using SmartActions, and successfully got the enviornment set up.  Over the past week or so, SmartActions were working perfectly and as expected.

Starting yesterday, we started seeing duplicate emails while trying to use SmartActions.  The first email would come back and say "You successfully completed the Test Task Event task with the 'Approve' action. ", and then the 2nd one would come in and say, "The K2 server could not find the worklist item 2199_49. This item may have been actioned by another user.
The full error from the K2 server is 'The worklist item 2199_49 is no longer available or you do not have rights to open it.'.

So the SmartAction is working, but we're wondering if anybody else has experienced problems like this with SmartActions, and if so, how to fix it.

Thanks,

Tim

17 replies

Badge +13

Try 4.6.2 I saw some fix regarding duplicate email.

Badge +10

Hi All,

I'm having the same problem.

It is due to having two K2 Servers in your environment.

I'm wondering if there is a way the K2 server can understand it is in a load-balanced environment and not send out the second email?

Can someone please advise?

I'm running 4.6.6.

Thanks,

JohanL

Badge +5

Hi, JohanL

• Please see the following link below from the previous community post and see if the suggestions answers your question.

K2 workflow - participants get duplicate notification emails

Regards

Julia

Badge +5

Hi, JohanL

I just wanted to follow up on the your post, were my suggestion helpfull. please let me know if you managed to get a workaround this issue.

Regards

Julia

Badge +10

Hi Julia,

After reading the post I remember that K2 support suggested commenting out one of these entries before.

I've just confirmed my environment has the SmartActionsSMTP one commented out.

Therefore this is still an issue and I'm thinking it has to do with the fact that I have 2 K2 Servers.

Can you please advise what else I can try?

Thank you,

JohanL

Badge +5

Hi, JohanL

Please look at the following links from our previous community posts:

If you are still having the same issue i'll investigate further.

Regards

Julia

Badge +10

Hi Julia,

As per the first link you sent, I have already commented out the SMTP entry.

I also use different emails for each environment so it won't be that.

Can you please investigate and suggest other ways of fixing this?

I'm still leaning towards there being 2 K2 servers.

Thank you,

JohanL

Badge +5

Hi, JohanL

Have you tried commenting out the EWS and not the SMTP entry?

• Is there both EWS and SMTP Entry?
  • If So, try commenting out <add path="SmartActionsEWS'/> (i.e <!-- -->)
  • Save the file and restart the K2 blackpearl server service

Test if you still receive duplicate emails?

Regards

Julia

Badge +10

Hi Julia,

I've made the change and still received the duplicate email.

Should I open a K2 support ticket for this?

Regards,

JohanL

Badge +7

I started getting duplicate emails after my last upgrade and I currently have a ticket open.

If you have separate accounts for your Dev and Prod environments, I would submit a ticket to have a technician look at your configuration.

Badge +5

Hi, JohanL

Yes, I think you should log a support ticket for further investigation regarding the issue, could you please follow up on this post if you manage to get the issue fixed.

Regards

Julia

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi JohanL, Daerne, Tim 17

JohanL you tried to comment out the <add path="SmartActionsEWS"/> but this was unsuccessfull.

Please try the following:

Please comment-out line for the SMTP SmartActions. Locate the following section in the k2hostserver.exe config file.

<add path="SmartActionsEWS" />
<!-- <add path="SmartActionsSMTP" /> -->

This depends on configuration but I assume that you guys configured EWS (Exchange Web Services) to send email.

If this is the case, simply comment out the "<add path="SmartActionsSMTP" />" node, save the file and restart the K2 blackpearl server to pick up the changes. Once restarted, please start another process instance to test the notification mails again.

If this does not work and/or you have tested this before and wanted a different solution please log a support ticket.

Thank You

Badge +7

Why comment out the SMTP?  I believe the SmartAction listener looks at the EWS config.  The SMTP is for the regular email type alerts.

Badge +10

Hi All,

As previously noted, I have commented out both on different occasions with the same result.

I will revert once we have a solution with K2 support.

Regards,

JohanL

Badge +7

How is this going?  Are you still getting duplicate emails?

Badge +7

After deploying to QA server, i am facing same issue,

i found this in K2HostServer.exe and there is no SMTP entry

<catalogs>
      <add path="SmartActions" />
      <add path="SmartActionsEWS" />
    </catalogs>

note: i am using same email address for both development and QA server specially dedicated to K2 emails. we will be using same one for production server too.

please guide me out what shall be done. it should not be case of email address same for dev and QA server.

Badge +9

You cannot use the same email for different environments. It has to be a dedicated email address per environment.