K2.net 2003 Server running as console not service

• 10 September 2008
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

Hi,

I've recently been tasked with investigating the way we use K2 for our internal systems and one of the questions that has been raised is about the way we run the K2.net Server. We currently have the K2 server running as a console on one of our application servers and I would like to know the possible reasons for this. I have my own idea as to why this might be but I didn't want to lead anyone down a set path; I'm interested to hear all possible explanations. If this post is too vague, let me know and I will post my own idea here for people to discuss.

Thanks,

Matt

7 replies

Badge +6

Also, were you involved with the decision to run in Console mode? If not, then it may be being ran in console mode (instead of as a Service) due to "someone" not knowing the service's user/password the K2 Server Service is configurared to run under (and instead using 'run as' to run the app in console mode using the local admin's permissions). 

Just a thought.

If you know the K2 Server Service's user account password (and are confident the account has the proper permissions/memberships/rights, etc.), you can close the console and start it as a service and see if it runs properly. If you want to capture the K2 server tasks being actioned to file instead of to console, enable the writing to file (via 'Trace' checkbox K2 Service Manager MMC plug in, earlier versions of K2) or activate Logging Framework (later K2 versions, like SP4).

Badge +3

Firstly, thanks for the tips on logging, it turns out we are currently doing this but didn't actually know about it!

I wasn't involved in the decision to run in Console mode so what you mentioned is a possible reason, thanks.

I wondered if maybe K2 Server needed to run in Console mode because we are using Server side Office Automation. (Which Microsoft strongly advise against! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257757 Unfortunately we don't have the resources to restructure our whole system.)

Does Office Automation require the K2 Server to be run in console mode? Is there anything at all that means the server MUST be run in console mode?

Thanks for your help so far, hope you are able to contribute further.

Matt

Badge +6

K2 can run in Console or as a Service...it is recommended to run as a service for performance benefits (ConsoleWrite lines adds overhead).

re: Office Automation...it's been reported that this is a Microsoft problem which can also impact K2. So, beware. ;-)

Badge +3

Thanks dhall4biz,

Are you saying that I could run K2 with server side Office Automation as a service too?

Matt

Badge +6
I can't say what K2 NEEDS to do to work with Office Server (maybe your Office URL info covers that...I haven't looked into the link's info), I am just saying K2 can run under both modes (exclusive of the Office Server requirements). Office server may require a UI component - which K2 Console mode may satisfy (hence the reason it was running like that in your environment)...and K2 running as a Service may not satisfy.  That is an Office specification not a K2 specification.
Badge +3
Ok, thanks, I think I get what you're saying now. I'll post on here if I find a definite answer to my question just in case anyone else is having the same problem.
Badge +3

Hi everyone,

I have a difinitive answer on this now. The reason we cannot run as a service is related to the office automation. Yet another reason not to include this!

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Matt