simultaneous data capture and editing ideas

• 18 January 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hi

I've a request to turn a paper process into a SharePoint based one and I'm a bit stuck.

Paper process is as follows. It's for marking a dissertation.

1. Admin email a pdf to two reviewers, one each. The pdf is for the reviewers to record their scores and comments for the paper based dissertation posted out to them.

2. Reviewer 1 and Reviewer 2 both begin to read the paper dissertation and record comments and a final score on the pdf and return it. They do this simultaneously and it's not currently an issue because each reviewer gets their own copy.

3. Admin receive reviewer 1 and reviewers 2 files by email and have to create a single document to record total score and both sets of reviewers comments and scores.

E-process

Customer is asking for

1. Admin create and send ONE form to both reviewers

2. Form is created and saved in SharePoint

3. Form can be read or written to simultaneously and admin don't have to merge documents they receive by email.

4. Metadata from the form can be seen in SharePoint without having to open the form/document. Metadata such as student name and ID, name of reviewers and their scores, final score. It's ok for the much longer comments fields to need to be opened to be read.

Ideally this would be done in SharePoint but I realise InfoPath doesn't allow simultaneous editing and I don't know about its ability to merge InfoPath forms. Maybe each reviewer can get a form each and they get rolled up into a single copy when submitted.

I suspect Adobe reviewer comments can do something for them but we've SharePoint 2010 + Office 2010 and first impressions are it looks clunky

Thanks for any ideas/experiences.

Darrel

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Darrell,

Quick question here.  Does it have to be a PDF?  Can it be a word document?

If it can, Office supports multiple working on the same document at the same time.

Once all the approvals go through, you could use a Convert Document in Nintex Workflow to then convert that document into a PDF.

cheers,

Vadim

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

You could add a task for each reviewer to collect information and then merge it on a common field.

You could use the Review action or the Request Data Action.

Badge +2

Hi Vadim

It doesn’t have to be PDF. I was hoping for a solution that meant Win and Mac users on various office versions could easily contribute.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Darrel

Badge +2

Thanks Fernando.

Is there any limitation on what can go into a field? The reviewer’s comments may be pages of rich text that they either want to paste into the field or add as an attachment.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

You can use a multiline text in that case.