Which license to install on server which is both production and development

• 29 March 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

I have got a SharePoint farm which is both production and development i.e. we are developing workflows on it and it will also serve as a production. In that case which license file shall I import (I have got two files; one for dev and one for prod)

If I import dev license then it means I can create workflows but then if software assurance expires what will happen to those workflows already deployed? Because as I understand if you have imported production license then already deployed workflows don't expire but then you cannot develop using production license.

3 replies

Badge +11

Hi

I'm guessing you are using on prem licenses for SP2010/2013. You do not need to deploy Dev license if it is a Production environment. Nothing is stopping you from creating workflows for development purpose. You can provide naming pattern to dev workflows so that you can clearly identify them.

There is no limit to the number of workflows you can create with On Prem licenses. 

The Dev software assurance will also renew with your prod license so you need not worry about that also. I'm answering as a consumer of workflow but if you need more details around this, you should talk to your rep who helped you with licenses.

Badge +2

Thanks for the reply Kapil. I am a little confused now because it seems my understanding about how Nintex Workflow license works was incorrect.

I thought Dev license is for development i.e. any farm where this license is installed, you can develop workflows.

And Production license is only for running workflows i.e. you can export workflows from Dev, import them into Production and they will continue to work as there is no expiry.

But Dev license has an expiry and once they expire, you cannot make any changes or develop workflows.

Badge +11

Frank you understanding is correct but you cannot have multiple Nintex licenses in a single farm. Nintex presumes yu have different servers for dev and prod. If you are using one single SharePoint Server for both (which I think is not a good idea btw.) you have to go what with ‌ said and use the prod license.

For more/further information you should contact nintex directly (support@nintex.com)