Creating Multiple Items

Badge +8

Hi,

I have the following scenario:

1. I have a list called “Training List”  where a training event is logged with the Training Date, Training PM and Training Description.
  2. As soon as an item is created in Training List, I would like to create an attendance list automatically with few items created. I use a list template with pre-populated list items  and use Create List Action in Nintex workflow to automate the creation of list.
  3. However, Once I create the List, I would like to update all the items with certain column values derived from Training List and send an email to the training PM with the link to the new list. The issue I am having is that,  I am not able to reference the list that is created in step 2 to use “Update multiple Items” action.

Can anyone please direct us on how to build this functionality?

Thank you,

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Is it necessary to create a separate list for each event?  Could you not use a single attendance list, with a column that associates it to the specific event it is for?  That could make the process of adding attendance information easier. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

to update list items you can use Lists.asmx webservice and its UpdateListItems method

Lists.UpdateListItems Method (Lists) 

Badge +8

Hi Brendan,

The reason why I would like to create a seperate list for each event is that, after a certain deadline, we don't want users to register. 

Please let me know if there is a better way of doing this without creating a seperate list.

Thank you,

Badge +8

Hi Marian,

Let me try this approach.

Thank you,

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Are you building a registration process, or a way to record attendance?  I read your question as recording attendance.  If you're building a registration process, there are a couple of ways you could prevent registration after a certain time, but it depends on how you're building the process.  I had built a registration process form at a former company where you would select the event you were registering for from a drop down.  The drop down list was configured to only display only certain events based on a date.  So events after a certain date the user wouldn't be able to select from the drop down.  That's how we prevented the registrations.  

Badge +8

Hi Brendan & Marian,

Thank you so much for your help.

I changed my design and below is what I am doing:

1) I create a new list using a list template every time an event is logged in Training list.  When an event is logged in the Training List, the PM sets a last date to Register field as well.

2) I constructed the newly created list url for the attendees list and send out a notification to the PM to distribute the url to the interested attendees.

3) Once the last date to register approaches, I would like to change the permissions of the list so that no one can register after last date to register has past. I would like to change the permissions of a user group on the list if possible or even "Everyone".  

4) I would like to send an outlook invite to all the registered users in the attendee list.

I am done with steps 1 and 2. However, I do not see an option to change the permissions of the list as outlined in step 3.

Any direction on steps 3 and 4 will help.

200853_pastedImage_1.png

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

there is yet another web service that deals with list permissions - Permissions.UpdatePermission Method (Permissions) 

reg. sending outlook calendar entry, I think I have already answered you  

Badge +8

Hi Marian,

I followed the instructions specified here at:  

The entire process was very successful. However, the start time and end time in the resulting ics does not match the start time and end time that I entered in the calendar list item which triggered the workflow.

For eg: The start time I specified in the calendar list item is :1:15pm and end time as 2:15pm. However, the ics when added to the calendar has a start time of 6.15am and end time of 7:15am.

I am not sure what is going on here. Can you please advise?

Thank you.

Badge +8

Hi Marian,

I resolved the time zone issue by removing "z" from formatDate dateString format parameter. I will try the permissions webservice to restrict the permissions after the deadline(this is not required but I will give it a try). 

Overall, I was able to build my solution. 

Thank you for excellent help and guidance,

Best Regards,

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

yep, timezone is the reason for difference.

glad you managed it to find solution on your own

one additional hint, though. by removing 'Z' you say timezone is not taken into account and datetime value is related to local time zone. so if you export and import calendar event in the same timezone, it will work. but once you export and import in different timezones, you will again experience some shift.

not sure whether it matters in your case, but it's always save(r) to specify full datetime+timezone (ie. datein full ISO format)

ISO 8601 - Wikipedia 

Badge +8

Hi Marian,

So, how do we fix this issue in the workflow for the .ics file being generated? It is possible that .ics that workflow generates is imported in different time zone. In that case, how do I modify the workflow logic? When I included "Z" and imported the  workflow generated .ics into my outlook, the times were not matching with the event times I entered in calendar list. our server is in PST time zone and I imported .ics in PST time zone as well. 

Please advise,

Thank you.