Events fire multiple times based on number of destinations

• 2 March 2006
  • 1 reply

Badge +2
I noticed that if I have an InfoPath Activity that has 2 destination users, each event within that activity fires twice. If the Activity has 3 destinations, then the events within that activity fire 3 times, etc. The Activity is limited to one slot. This is especially ignoring when an email event is within the activity - users are receiving duplicate emails. I will need to move the email event to its own "server activity" to prevent this from happening. Having events fire multiple times also seems like a performance issue. Comments? Thanks.

1 reply

Badge +4
Christine,

I had the same problem recently with email. On consultation with K2 this is as expected. As explaination, you wish the client event to be presented to all members of a destination queue. Therefore, the activity splits into slots or threads, one for each member. If you have an email event in the same activity, with a destination queue as recipient then you have an email sent to each member for each slot. Therefore, the multiplication effect you have experienced.

Moving certain activities to a server activity, which in itself, requires no destination rule to be defined, works for the most cases. However, there are situations where you must resort to your own code to resolve this multiplication effect and/or the absence of a destination rule.

In general, keep your email or server events separate from your client events by using two activity steps, one for server and the other for client events.

Graham