Chain of Managers Approval process good, but not quite there.....

• 16 December 2015
  • 5 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +4

Hi

I found this article by Emily - Use a chain of managers in an approval process trouble is EVERY manager in the chain gets an approval request, so great article but not quite there for me, I need to stop the loop after the request is approved by a named person is this possible?

I am a beginner so loads to learn, and I have seen this question asked quite a few times.

My workflow approval chain:

• Initiator > (Using Reference 'Initiator')
    • Initiators Head of Dept.. > (Using Reference 'Manager')
      • Head of Dept. Manager > (Cannot find a reference for Manager's Manager)
        • workflow should stop here

I have had a couple of suggestions and thanks guys but still not what I am looking for, it seems so simple a task and gets asked a lot, sorry for asking again...

Regards

John

5 replies

Badge +17

John,

Try this...

154283_pastedImage_1.png

• Assign Flexi-Task > Assigned is the Initiators Manager
  • Set a variable to the initiators manager only if its approved. No point in doing this if its denied.
  • Query LDAP with the variable to find the manager of the manager
  • Assign the flexi-task > Assigned will be the output of the LDAP query
  • Finish the workflow as needed.
Badge +4

Eric,

This is great help and many thanks, couple of questions:

1. This is the variable I created:

Pic1.bmp

2. This is the Configure Action - Set variable that I created

Pic 2.bmp

3. This is the LDAP Query that I used (obvious stuff x'd out)

Pic 3.JPG

4. Finally, this is the Assign Flexi task settings

Pic 4.JPG

Would these be the correct settings? I have attached the workflow in my next post as I cannot do it here, if you can find the time to check it over I will be most grateful.

Many thanks in advance

Kind regards

John

Badge +17

John, create a variable with people or groups.  This will allow you to pull a persons ID which is how you can then query against them to store the manager of that.  Everything else looks good but I will look closer at it.

Badge +4

Dear all,

This worked for me Is there a way to find managers manager using workflow?

Badge +3

Hi John,
I'm not sure if you still need this, but just in case:

I am building a similar workflow except I need the loop to stop when it reaches a certain position in the org chart.  So sometimes that might mean 3 people approve, sometimes 2, and sometimes 4, with the last person being the specific position.r

Regarding how to use the workflow to get the manager's manager, I did it this way:

1. I set a variable to equal the Initiator's Manager.  (Approver 1)

Using variable to update list item

2. I used that variable to update a similarly named column in my list.  (in my case Approver 1 = Initiator's Manager)

3. Once that Approver 1 column is updated, I set a new people variable (Approver 2) to equal the Manager of Approver 1, and so on.

Using Variables to find Manager's of Managers...

Variable Config

Like your workflow, there are some Approval decisions in between those steps, but essentially, if Approver 1 OKs the item, it moves to Approver 2, etc.  And as someone else said above, I only set up the next variable if the item is approved.  If it's not, there's no point.

Hope it helps.