Do the send private message or Request Project Membership features work?

• 22 January 2009
  • 4 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +3

Apologies in advance if I am just being impatient, but I have tried both the inbox/message feature of this site and the request project membership feature to get in touch with the author of a black market project. To date no joy, no response. Is it possible that the site features just aren't working?

4 replies

Badge +10

They do work, "I think" but it relies on the author checking their email and responding. Not always a good bet :)

Which project are you interested in, i will facilitate

Badge +3

OK, the private message feature does work. Right now, it the Dynamic Assembly Service project is the one I'd like to add some things to. I was also interested in the NUnit test project that never posted any files.

Thanks for helping.

Badge +11

Sorry,

The private messages on this site don't seem to get routed to my email, so I just didn't see them.  I have added you to the project.

Here are a few things I try to keep in mind when I add projects:

• I approach these as a learning tool for others.
  • What set of features will have applicability to a wide set of users?
  • Test extensively. 
  • Document.

Good luck, and thanks for contributing!

David

Badge +3

Great, thanks. Let me know if this change of the thread topic should be moved elsewhere or offline.

If the Blackmarket is to be viewed as a code snippet type of service for the community, it changes how I would approach this. A learning tool sounds like code snippets to me. A code snippet is something that ends up being downloaded, forked and maintained by the developer. My comments last week about the blackmarket and open source were kind of aimed at the idea that things in the black market are maintained chunks of functionality that somebody could choose to use and understand how licensing, versions, maintenance and feature requests are going to be handled, even when the original developer drops out of the picture. These two styles are probably mutually exclusive,  but either one is OK so long as it is clear which one is in place. A Codeplex type of expectation is more of a long term vision of the project, where a developer can look at the vitality of the community of developers around the project and make a determination that the maintenance of the source is an acceptable risk.

Interested in your thoughts.