cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
kelliganp
Nintex Newbie

List Lookup from Multiple Lists and Multiple Filters (Cannot Cascade)

Jump to solution

Hi Folks,

I have an issue and I need a workaround. Normally, I would use a cascading dropdown for this but that is not working in my environment (see background posts here: https://community.nintex.com/thread/20079-having-cascading-dropdown-issues) for some reason and I will be working with Nintex Support to overcome that issue. I need to accomplish this before I will be able to get approval for a Nintex Update as I have a new contract kicking off that needs this feature ASAP.

Thanks for the help in the previous thread to get me this far Marian Hatala‌  Philip Warrak‌. Feel free to add here Cassy Freeman‌ as I have seen you contribute to similar issues.

Does anyone know of an alternative method to filter by multiple values? I must populate my main form with the contents of a list that has several records for each employee. It is a Time Bank so each employee has a record for the first contract period (base year or "BASE") and each subsequent option period (Option Period 1 or OP01, OP02, etc.). An employee will go into the leave form and either auto populate the current user or if they are submitting as a proxy, select the employee from the first lookup. Then, they will select the Contract period (CP). Each employee is provisioned with an allotment of leave and sick time for each contract period. When the CP is selected, I want the Available leave data to auto populate. Auto populate is figured out and working with a single CP but I need it to discriminate as to the CP.

I am not a great coder but with some guidance, I can muddle my way through some JavaScript if need be.

Nintex Forms On Prem.

Any thoughts? let me know if I need to clarify or load up with screenshots.

Regards,

Patrick

Labels: (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: List Lookup from Multiple Lists and Multiple Filters (Cannot Cascade)

Jump to solution

Screenshots, diagrams, all things visual would help immensely in trying to untangle what it is you're trying to accomplish. 

Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

it's as well not very clear to me how exactly your filters and cascade should work...

but I wonder whether cascaded filters still couldn't be achieved with Web Request control.

it however requires you are on enterprise licence

Nintex Forms Enterprise - SQL Request and Web Service Request enhancement 

with web request control you could call GetListItems method of Lists.asmx web service. it would allow you to build a filter on your own out of other form controls.

Lists.GetListItems method (WebSvcLists) 

kelliganp
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

For more context, what I have is a leave form with a List Lookup Ccontrol that goes out to another site on the site collection and pulls an employye's information to populate the form (LLU 1in the first screenshot).

Next, I have a LLU control that will go to a TimeBank list and should offer a selection of TimeBank records for the chosen employee, one for each of the contract periods (BASE, OP01, OP02, etc.) so that we can populate the leave request with the employee's available leave time from the chosen time bank record. This control is LLU 2 in the screenshot.

The full name as seen in LLU 1 is also a field in the TimeBank records. The screenshot show what is SHOULD look like when the control is filtering correctly. I have discovered an issue with my original attempt at this and that was the fact that I was not filtering on a Lookup field in the TimeBank reaching back to the "tbl_Weserners" list where the employee is found. It seems that this was the real reason I could not use cascading drop-downs because the Lookup control cannot see lists on other sites.

Clear as mud?

Please let me know if anyone has any alternative options to accomplish the filtering for populating the leave data.

0 Kudos
kelliganp
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thanks Marian Hatala! I will investigate this option and any others that get posted here. I tried to add some clarity on what I am trying to accomplish below. Hopefully that helps.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

You say in your second section that:

"I could not use cascading drop-downs because the Lookup control cannot see lists on other sites." 

But you can see lists on other sites so long as you specify them in the path as shown: 

Did you actually mean Column? As in you cannot create a Lookup Column on your TimeBank List because the Employee Information List is on a different site? 

kelliganp
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I mis-stated... I meant to day that the lookup field cannot reach into other sites. It appears that my second lookup control must filter on a field in the target list that is a lookup field pointing to the list used in the first list lookup control. Is that an accurate understanding?

The video tutorial (https://youtu.be/Xx5q31FZF9g?t=27) that I used to create this did not explicitly say that but when a colleague (Eudoro Espinoza) was helping me troubleshoot this, he notices the characteristics on the screen clearly showed that the field was a lookup field.

Sorry for the confusion.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Ah. When people say 'Control' rather than 'Column' I tend to think that they are talking about the Forms Control and not the actual SharePoint Column. 

My bad. 

You might be able to create a List Lookup column even if the sites are different as long as they are descendants and not siblings. 

Root Site => Employee Info Site  => Time Bank Site = You can make a Site Column that is a Lookup and will work

Root Site => Employee Info Site

Root Site => Time Bank Site = Out of Luck  

To learn more about creating a Site Column that is Lookup, see: Create a SharePoint Lookup Column to another Site | Benjamin Niaulin's Blog  

kelliganp
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi nmarples,

You wrote...

Root Site => Employee Info Site

Root Site => Time Bank Site = Out of Luck  

That is me... our of luck. It is a sibling site.

Any alternative ideas on how to get this thing populated given my circumstances?

0 Kudos
kelliganp
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Marian Hatala,

I looked at the web request control option and I think that it may be useful but I often see the weather example used but is there and example of how to set it up to go to a site within the site collection?

Thanks and regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos