Opening an InfoPath Task always crashes

• 26 October 2010
  • 9 replies

Badge +6

Hi all,

We are getting an error whenever a user tries to open an InfoPath task from the worklist. They are able to get the drop down menu and select the action from the list but they can't open the form itself, this is the error we are getting:

The following error prevented the Workflow InfoPath
Task to open:

Object reference not set to an instance
of an object. at
SourceCode.Workflow.RuntimeServices.OpenInfoPathTask.OpenFormsServerPage(String
infoPathFormData, String fileName, Boolean openAsWebPage) at
SourceCode.Workflow.RuntimeServices.OpenInfoPathTask.Page_Load(Object sender,
EventArgs e) Void OpenFormsServerPage(System.String, System.String,
Boolean)

Please contact your administrator

I first thought it was a permissions issue, but I have tested this with normal user accounts and an admin account for the site, all of them can open and complete the infoPath form that starts the process, but no accounts can open any infoPath tasks.

9 replies

Badge +6

did you check the user permissions on the site / doc library? check start permissions on the WF?

Badge +6

I have promoted all test users to the owners group for the site, and these permissions have been applied to the forms library, still getting this issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

This is a shot in the dark but might have some affect….at the end of your URL link there should be a 1 or a zero, depending on which it is change it to the other. Can’t remember the specific one it should be but changing this will change the client the template uses. The form will now open in InfoPath client. Please let me know if it opens form here, if not is suspect that it’s trying to open the XML incorrectly or with the incorrect program. Try changing the file associate type. Associate XML to open with InfoPath as a test.

HTH

Vernon

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Another thing check that the User has contribute permissions on the list or Library explicitly, this rights are needed as temp XML needs to be created in the list/library

Badge +6

It has just come right, I haven't done anything to the permissions or the process, except remove View rights and added View participate instead.

Thanks for all your help.

Badge +6

This has come up again on another process. I have checked the user rights, I have even given a test user specific contribute rights for the library. I have worked through all suggestions you have given and none of them have yielded any results. Do you have any more suggestions on where to go ?

Here  is some more info from the SharePoint logs:

when this a request is made to this service: http://jnbapp01:42466/_vti_bin/K2SPUsersGroups.asmx, the following error comes back:

Unknown SPRequest error occurred.

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Do you perhaps set Boolean values in the form? Have you changed the client the template uses? Change it from using the browser to InfoPath as mentioned earlier. Update me on the result and error received.

Vernon

Badge +6

Hi,
Thought I would share the solution that came out of a meeting with a K2 consultant.

The issue was caused by the way we were accessing forms, smartObjects etc. Apparently, it didn't like the idea of using IP addresses for the servers, when it was all switched over to the host names for the various machines, everything started working as it should.

Badge

Hi Just wanted to mention that I ran into the same problem, See the error below:

The K2 workflow and InfoPath works fine in QA but comes up with the error below when I need to action a task via the work list or email notification task or even going into K2 workspace

the GUIDS are in sync for the smart objects for QA and Production environment and the InfoPath form is refreshed in BP before deploying .

Adding I am not using IP's for addresses am using actual server names

Any Ideas that can help with this would be much appreciated

Normal

false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

The
following error prevented the Workflow InfoPath Task to open:

Normal

false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Object
reference not set to an instance of an object. at
SourceCode.Workflow.RuntimeServices.OpenInfoPathTask.OpenFormsServerPage(String
infoPathFormData, String fileName, Boolean openAsWebPage) at
SourceCode.Workflow.RuntimeServices.OpenInfoPathTask.Page_Load(Object sender,
EventArgs e) Void OpenFormsServerPage(System.String, System.String, Boolean)