Add attachment to email for an approval event

Badge +4

This should not be that hard to accomplish but I cannot figure this out.

The email that gets sent in an approval task should contain either a link to the document that kicked off the workflow or the actual document.  I would like to know how to add both for future reference. 

I have tried adding the document from the smartobject but all that comes through on the email is an xml file with the item details.

Can someone please help me out?  By the way, i am using this with SharePoint 2010.

thanks in advance,

Danny H

6 replies

Badge +5

Hi dherreracolumbi,

I'm just trying to get a better grasp on what you are asking about, just for clarity sake the information listed here 

http://help.k2.com/helppages/k2blackpearlUserGuide4.6.4/Reference_-_Mail_Event_Attachments.html

does not help you do what you want to do correct?

Badge +4

that doesnt help much because i am not attaching a file from the file system, i am trying to attach a document from a sharepoint document library.

here is what i am trying to do:

1. user submits a new document to a document library in sharepoint and the approval workflow starts

2. The first approval step sends the notification of a new task to the approver.  That email should contain the document that was submitted to the document library as an attachment. 

That is all i am trying to do and i am using K2 Studio.

Badge +5

I'm not sure you can send the physical document itself, and if you have Sharepoint and a document library there would be no real reason to. But I'm pretty certain you can send send a link to the document that kicked off the workflow, like this little example does, I'm just trying to figure out exactly what wizards and such you would use to do so.

15278iC78B6AFC9C80EF3A.png
Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Isn't that available in the Document Context?

Regards,

Peter

Badge +6

You can definitely do this.  I do it for onboarding instances when I want to send a new user a "welcome aboard" document from a tightly-controlled SharePoint library where the "master copy" is kept but that the user does not have access to.

There is an inline function you can use to attach the document from SharePoint to a mail event.  It is designed specifically for this purpose.

Badge +6

I should add that the inline function wants you to specify the exact document name, so you will want to use data fields to dynamically set that based on the document that kicked off the process.  You should be able to do this with document context fields.