Workflow Error

Badge +2

I am using NINTEX workflow for SharePoint (Version 2010).

I have a site workflow which picks up a xml file from a SP list. This xml file is used to retrieve the data and create an email template. Subsequently, we send a notification to the intended recipients and delete the control file from the list using the "Delete Item" action. However, sometimes the workflow errors out with the following error: "The workflow could not delete the list item. Make sure the list exists and the user has permissions to delete items in the list." All the intended users that are initiating this workflow have contribute rights to the SP list and should be able to delete the item. This is an intermittent issue and doesn't occur every time this workflow is executed.

Please can you suggest any remedial action to over come the error.

5 replies

Badge +16

are you logging anything in the history list to see which items are affected?  that might help identify the intermittent problems...

Badge +2

I am logging the file name that I will be using. I am getting that file from the SP list and I am able to access the details present in the xml file.

Badge +2

The item cannot be edited.

Can it be the case, where since we are accessing the item in the workflow, the item cannot be deleted, we may have to define another workflow for deleting this.

Badge +2

Actions executed before the delete item:

1.Query XML: The list stores XML file which is accessed using the Query XML action. The data from the xml tags is then stored in workflow variables. These variables are then used to populate the details in the notifications that are sent to users.

I am still facing this issue. Since it is an intermittent issue, we are not able to pinpoint the root cause for the same. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Badge +1

Hi

My 2 cents would be (if you have access to the Central admin server) is to have a look through the ULS events for the time failed, use the "merge-splogfile" cmdlet and use the timeframe the issue happened.

eg: Merge-SPLogFile -Path "c:mergeloglog.txt" -Overwrite -level High -StartTime "03/25/2014 12:00" -EndTime "03/25/2014 12:59"

Pretty darned useful – "Merge-SPLogFile" cmdlet – Brooks White, Sr. PFE SharePoint 

This I have found very helpful in the past to identify intermittent issues.

Rob