Workflow executing in parallel on a single list is creating a problem like 'Index out of bound'. The problem is happening since the list column is not mutually exclusive for workflows. Is there any component by which list item can make mutually exclu

• 4 January 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge +4

Hello Friends,

Workflow executing in parallel on a single list is creating a problem like 'Index out of bound'. The problem is happening since the list column/list item is not mutually exclusive for workflows. Is there any component by which list item can make mutually exclusive for all parallel running workflows? i.e. when one workflow will modify the list the other parallel workflows will be prevented from reading or writing?

Thanks,

Mani.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

SharePoint is trying to protect itself from potential loop issues and can behave this way. We know this also occurs for Workflow tasks which is why the best practice is to not have workflows on workflow task lists.

Though it is not absolute, it is a better practice to not have multiple workflows running on the current item at the same time. I would highly encourage that there would only be one at a time? Again, this is not an absolute. I have built workflows that call other workflows on the current item, but the first workflow waits for the second to complete before moving forward.

Badge +11

‌, has ‌'s solution been helpful?