InfoPath InfoPanel & SmartOjbect Integration

• 23 September 2008
  • 0 replies

Badge +3

If you have trouble with the Video, you may need to download Codecs from TechSmith

http://download.techsmith.com/tscc/tscc.exe

Here is a Video showing how to:

·         Create a content type

·         Associate it with a document library

·         Use Quick Parts to add the fields from the Content Type to the word document

·         Save the Document as a Template for the Content Type

·         Open the InfoPanel for the content type and save the InfoPanel Template to the local drive

·         Integrate the InfoPanel Template with a SmartObject

·         Customize the InfoPanel Temlate

Also, here is some additional information about how you can further customize InfoPath to create reusable templates based on SmartObjects (Renier posted this way back, but it is a good reminder…)  This was provided back to me by the customer I spent 1 day with working on InfoPath and InfoPanel integration”

create InfoPath Template Part in InfoPath 2007

Basically, they’re re-usable InfoPath components that can be embedded in any form you build later.

They can have their own data connections etc. So, here’s the value

a.      I create an InfoPath Template Part based on a Blank form that I intend to use as a componentized “Search” tool to reuse in multiple forms.

b.      I add a couple fields/text boxes to capture search criteria – these will be connected to the SmartObject parameter fields before query method execution

c.      I add a button “Search” to trigger the SO method

d.      I save and close the Template Part.

e.      Rename the Template Part from “.xtp” to “.xsn” to get the “Integrate with SmartObject” context menu item to show up, and run the SmartObject Integration.

f.      Rename the Template Part back to “.xtp” and open in InfoPath to finish it.

g.      Drag the SmartObject method results schema onto the form to show the repeating table.

h.      Connect the Search fields to the SO parameters in the schema via Rules.

i.      Save and close.

j.      Now, in any future form I can add the template part as custom control, and drop it on the form and all SmartObjects are automatically wired up. Configure once and reuse forever.

Maybe this will help save you some time on your projects… instead of having to add the same SmartObjects over and over to multiple forms – just add them once to a Template Part and then embed that part in whatever forms need those SmartObjects – even forms that already exist. You don’t even have to add any additional fields to the Template Part – it could just host a bunch of SmartObject data connections. The only catch is that template parts have an “.xtp” extension and do not get the “Integrate with SmartObject” context menu item. A workaround is to rename to “.xsn” > integrate > rename back to “.xtp” which seems to work. Be nice if “Integrate with SmartObject” was extended to “.xtp” files as well.

[Video]

0 replies

Be the first to reply!