Site level permissions required to access assigned task items?

• 20 February 2019
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +1

I have a list workflow in a particular team site that requires collecting approvals from individuals who are not members of that site. Before Nintex I could accomplish this by giving them permissions to the task list being used for the workflow.

Now the situation I have is that a flexitask created a task item, and I've given the assignee contribute permissions to the task list where that task item exists. When they try to open the item they get "Sorry, something went wrong. An unexpected error has occurred." If I give the assignee read permissions at the site level, in addition to their contribute permissions on the list level then they can respond to the task.

Unfortunately giving site level permissions is not an option for me in our environment. What else can I do? Do I need to build the workflows on a different site where I am able to give site level permissions, or is there another solution?

3 replies

Badge +17

What you are seeing is that the user needs at minimal read permissions to the site assets folder in the site to view the form and other attributes on the form. You should be able to add them to the site visitors group or create a restricted read group and grant them access there.

Badge +1

I have given the user read permissions to the Site Assets library in the team site. We are still seeing the error though if I don't give them permissions at the root of the site.

Badge +1

I created a case for this and looked at it with Nintex support. They were able to demonstrate that the same permissions issue exists for a task created through a SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow. So the permissions limitation is part of SharePoint and not specific to tasks created by Nintex workflows.