K2BP ASP.NET walkthrough tutorial

• 4 February 2008
  • 3 replies

Badge +5

Hi,

I'm really confused in this area. Many different issues involved to clarify the best and correct way to develop an ASPX workflow in K2BP. Is there any walkthrough sample for developing such processes. Even a simple process, It's O.K.

For my current situation, it's very difficult to develop the required processes in InfoPath "which is straightforward". I need to add many scripts and web service calls to grab the data within the form. This is why I'm working heavily in building ASPX forms and expose them to K2 Server.

Any help regarding this matter is highly appreciated...

Regards,

Saleh 

3 replies

Badge +11

Saleh,

It is very common for organizations to choose ASPX forms.  In my experience, I would say a slightly higher number of developers are going with ASPX over InfoPath.  It really depends on the needs of your project and your level of comfort with the technology.  The good news is the workflow itself doesn't change significantly no matter which presentation technology you choose.

There are several different ways you can hook web pages to the workflow:

-       Check out the Forms Generation Client event.  Usually people end up customizing these forms significantly, but you could just create a simple one to see how it works so you could use the same techniques in your form.

-       In blackmarket, there’s a project called ‘ASPX Controls for [blackpearl]’ that comes complete with source code to show a way to interact with the API.  You could use the project as-is or look at the code to see an example of how you action a work item.  If I remember right, it contains a sample web site for testing.  I think there might be several other blackmarket projects that would serve as good examples as well. 

-       It is possible to action and start a workflow using SmartObjects.  I’ve done it before, but I haven’t seen too many examples that show how to do it.  You might look around the forums for an example.

One thing I would caution a new developer first starting out in this area.  I’ve seen developers try to write traditional web pages where most of the workflow logic is embedded in the pages.  Let blackpearl take care of the workflow.  Use the web pages to display, validate, and collect information from the users.  Use the workflow to decide what to do with the information.

Once you see a few examples, you'll find it's pretty easy to connect your web pages to the workflow.

Badge +5

Hi David,

Your answer is quite comprehensive. really appreciated! 

The Blackmarket control for ASPX is pretty much handy and easy to use. It solved my problems and the attached samples and screencasts are really great. As you mentioned, I need only to see few examples to start out.

Regards,

Saleh 

Badge +5

Hi,

I have created a detailed tutorial on this topic:

http://geekangle.wordpress.com/2008/02/20/blackpearl-web-forms-workflow/

Enjoy !