Capturing Text and not a timestamp whenever an Item has been modified.

Badge +2

Dear All,

I wonder if you could give me some advice please. I have a field Comments that's a multi-line field and I'm trying trigger an email whenever a new comment has been created, the problem I'm having is the false /negative emails that are sent out whenever the Item fields other than the comments field has been updated which results in a timestamp being listed in the multi-line Comments field.

I need a condition or run if to send an email only when Text has been entered rather than timestamps being updated.

Thanks in advance all!

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

could you explain/post a screenshot how do you trigger sending notifications?

do you start a workflow conditionally or do you have some condition within the workflow when it should be sent or do you wait for field change with workflow action or ...?

Badge +2

Hi Marian,

Essentially I have a List with a field Comments which is a multi line field.

What I'm doing is using the logic 'set a condition' where Comments is Not Empty and Modified greater than the current item Modified. The problem is whenever someone changes an item that is not updating the comment field it will generate a Comment added email since it timestamps the time inside the comment field it seems.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Essentially I have a List with a field Comments which is a multi line field.

so by the second screenshot the field is set with "Append changes", right?

result of this condition resp. actual values of Comments and Modified fields depend on when exactly workflow is/was started, which you haven't clarified.

but based on expression on Modified field, if notifications are sent out it has to evaluated to true, hence the workflow must have been started on different (older) item version. That not necessarily need to mean (only) Comments field has been changed.

the same implies that you actually evaluate previous/old value of Comments field within condition since it holds value valid at the workflow start timepoint.

from you explanation it is not clear what's your exact business case, but I would suggest to create a workflow started conditionaly when 'Comments (previous value)' is different from 'Comments (current value)'

Badge +2

Hi Marian,

Apologies for not clarifying the workflow runs when created and or modified. I think I'm going to create a dedicated workflow based on your recommendations!

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

ok, let us know how you suceeded happy.png